    local computer Error 997: overlapped I/O operation is in progress" In the
    event viewer I get a 7023 Event ID with the same message.

    I can be reached at

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005

  2. On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:30:18 -0700, Thomas <> wrote:

    >Recently I have a Windows 2000 /SP4
    >
    >When manually starting up the Windows installer Service (3.1.4000.1823) I
    >get a dialog box stating that "Could not start Windows Installer Service on
    >local computer Error 997: overlapped I/O operation is in progress" In the
    >event viewer I get a 7023 Event ID with the same message.
    >
    >I can be reached at

    See if any of the following apply:

    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=227365 "'Error 997' When Using Hummingbird NFS Maestro in Windows 2000 "
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=248408 "Error Message: System Error 997 Has Occurred "
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=266657 "Windows 2000 Directory Service Agent Fails to Maintain Exclusive Control of Port 389 "
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=295712 "Error Message: Overlapped I/O Operation Is in Progress "
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=305837 "DNS Intersite Messaging Global Catalog NTFRS and 'Invalid Credentials' Error Messages on Domain Controller "
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=315182 "LDAP server locally not available on domain controller because of Winsock program "
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=827363 "How to Use the KB 824146 Scanning Tool to Identify Host Computers That Do Not Have the 823980 {MS03-026} and the 824146 {MS03-039} Security Patches Installed "
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=830064 "LDAP queries fail and you cannot open Active Directory Users and Computers in Windows 2000 "

    Jerold Schulman, Aug 24, 2005

    This may or may not be related to your problem but, A few weeks ago I started
    having problems with MSI3.1 and Veritas Backup Exec. I could not remove or
    install anything and my tape drives were in an "Offline" status. I contacted
    my vendor about the strange problems I was having and he said that I needed
    to boot into safe mode and disable my APC services. He indicated to me a
    problem with my APC software version 6.x that caused problems with several
    Windows components and Applications. I made the corrections and my system
    started working properly..
    I wouldnt have thought another application would cause these seemingly
    unrelated problems,,,but it did. here is a link the the APC artical.

    http://www.apc.com/solutions/display.cfm?ID=DEA020F8-5056-9170-D3E96B2134AFF145

    also

    http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_e...WRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NTAxJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

    Guest, Sep 12, 2005