Install illegal copy for customer - Legal?

Richard Urban

kurttrail said:
LOL! You are so full of it.

I see the Subject, but the OP has yet to show that it is REALLY an illegal
copy.

**************************************

The shop owner does not have to show anything. It is up to the customer, if
the shop owner so wishes, to "prove" to him that the copy is legal.

It's the shop owners choice to make, not yours!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

kurttrail

Richard said:
**************************************

The shop owner does not have to show anything. It is up to the
customer, if the shop owner so wishes, to "prove" to him that the
copy is legal.
It's the shop owners choice to make, not yours!

LOL! The has basically made the assumption that a burned CD is illegal,
that is not a logical assumption, since the illegality in license would
be in the Product Key, not the CD.

--
Peace!
Kurt

David Candy

All my CDs are legal and burned by me. I have never see a genuine XP disk. And I know you have access to the same downloads as me so you also probably have burned legal CDs.

Plato

Richard said:
The shop owner does not have to show anything. It is up to the customer, if
the shop owner so wishes, to "prove" to him that the copy is legal.

It's the shop owners choice to make, not yours!

When you're a shop owner customers often give you all sorts of software
to install. Often many of the cds are homemade copies. The role of the
shop owner is to get the pc running the way the client wants it to run.
It's not the shop owners responsibility to question the source of the
cds or question the customer as to the origin of the cds and/or
registration info.

David Candy

I wouldn't totally agree with you here. If the shop susppects it's been stolen then they should seek reassurance. The point I've been making is a burnt CD isn't necessarily sus.

Shops should only be making reasonable effort to not participate in underhand things. They should not be attempting to enforce MS's economic rents (which are anti-capitalist).

R. McCarty

The last thing that Computer or IT Shops need is to have to take on
some form of license enforcement role. It would be akin to a Auto
repair shop running your plates before accepting a work order. Of
course there already is a form of that in play. You cannot access the
Microsoft Updates without Activation/Validation. Most shops would
not let a unit leave without the appropriate updates applied. So you
have a constraint on "Installs" that already applies. Normally, on any
Fresh install - I'll use my own verified media and only request the PK
or ensure it's on the Desktop/Notebook case. I keep Product keys
in the customer records. You'd be amazed at how many PC users
cannot keep up with "Passwords, Product Keys and WEP codes".
I should start charging for the common phone call that begins with -
"Do you know what my _______ is "?

R. McCarty said:
The last thing that Computer or IT Shops need is to have to take on
some form of license enforcement role. It would be akin to a Auto
repair shop running your plates before accepting a work order. Of

Or a bank, when going to make a deposit, asking if the money was earned
leagally or by selling cocaine.
in the customer records. You'd be amazed at how many PC users
cannot keep up with "Passwords, Product Keys and WEP codes".
I should start charging for the common phone call that begins with -
"Do you know what my _______ is "?

When repairing, I write down all that info on the invoice. This way the
customer has a copy.

Richard Urban

You're all missing my point. It's NOT the shop owners responsibility. But if
he wants to do so, he can. Maybe he will be happy to eat soup that day,
instead of caviar (any of you ever had that stuff)!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

David Candy

Yeah like writing the number down will help them find it. Try tattooing on their foreheads.

R. McCarty

On Home/Business visits, you invariably run into the "Can't or Don't
know where that disk is at" problem. I carry a Zippered pouch to
sell/give them to help organize CDs. It's cheaper to give them one
and know where the disks are, then watch them scramble around
going through desk drawers frantically searching for them. For the
Business clients I actually offer to catalog, (Copy) and document
their software library into a binder with plastic sheets and Tabbed
category sheets. Then there are the ones who keep the disk and
throw away the jacket/packet with the Product Key on it. I do not
understand paying thousands for a program and then loose the disk
and licensing material.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Yeah like writing the number down will help them find it. Try tattooing on
their foreheads.

David Candy

Never. I don't eat babies. I grab them by the feet and swing them into a step head first (it's a movie reference - who can get it).

David Candy

I insist on a big box that everything is thrown into (as it is expected never to be needed again unless BIG problems). And I throw out crap not them. I copy all CDs to hard drive and install from there (backup saves it).

This way it's always on the server and if disaster strikes it is in the box for sure (and none has to think - just throw in box). Your way would be best but most aren't anal. My way encourages complience from the lazy and busy.

kurttrail

Plato said:
When you're a shop owner customers often give you all sorts of
software to install. Often many of the cds are homemade copies. The
role of the shop owner is to get the pc running the way the client
wants it to run. It's not the shop owners responsibility to question
the source of the cds or question the customer as to the origin of
the cds and/or registration info.

Yep, no one made the shop owner the copyright/EULA police.

--

R. McCarty said:
The last thing that Computer or IT Shops need is to have to take on
some form of license enforcement role. It would be akin to a Auto
repair shop running your plates before accepting a work order. Of
course there already is a form of that in play. You cannot access the
Microsoft Updates without Activation/Validation. Most shops would
not let a unit leave without the appropriate updates applied. So you
have a constraint on "Installs" that already applies. Normally, on any
Fresh install - I'll use my own verified media and only request the PK
or ensure it's on the Desktop/Notebook case. I keep Product keys
in the customer records. You'd be amazed at how many PC users
cannot keep up with "Passwords, Product Keys and WEP codes".
I should start charging for the common phone call that begins with -
"Do you know what my _______ is "?

Thank you! And you have done nothing wrong or unethical. If anything
you are making sure people's computers are being installed with known
working media.

How many posts to we see with someone complaining that their CD is
scratched or corrupted?

--

David said:
I insist on a big box that everything is thrown into (as it is
expected never to be needed again unless BIG problems). And I throw
out crap not them. I copy all CDs to hard drive and install from
there (backup saves it).

This way it's always on the server and if disaster strikes it is in
the box for sure (and none has to think - just throw in box). Your
way would be best but most aren't anal. My way encourages complience
from the lazy and busy.

Yep. I practice the Big Box Theory myself, as I'm basically a big fat
lazy f*#k at heart! :)

--

Richard said:
You're all missing my point. It's NOT the shop owners responsibility.
But if he wants to do so, he can. Maybe he will be happy to eat soup
that day, instead of caviar (any of you ever had that stuff)!

Some people like playing undercover E-Men. I just wouldn't trust them
to fix anything.

I only eat shell fish myself. I need my monthly dose of mercury.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

scarletbananabeach

There's also some customers who arrive at a shop, and ask if the tech
wouldn't install Win XP for them (for free) on their box! They don't
own it and they don't want to buy it either. They seem to think that
$200 dollars for an OS is way too much money, so they're seeking for a
way to get it for free since they don't have the knowledge and the time
to learn an OS from a different kind. Also, they're kind of
"Brainwashed" to use MS products. "Everybody" use it, so it's easier to
get help, and it's probably the best bet they can make to use the
"industry standard".

Joan

Hossam

i would make he himself read and accept to the EULA then i do th
rest..
and sure the activation not at my place :)

actually i was thinking to give away my original ms windows & offic
cds in cheap price and install it for customers to get rid of the cd
cause now i use linux in all the pcs at work and homr
just want to know if that will be legal to do, i read before that i ca
sell them once is that right?
its 115 home edition and office all activated only once and 3
professional that doesnt require activation.

David Candy

Depends if they came with a computer or not. Yes you can sell them if you are the original buyer (but the person you sell to can't). If it came with a computer you must sell the computer with it.

Plato

Richard said:
You're all missing my point. It's NOT the shop owners responsibility. But if
he wants to do so, he can. Maybe he will be happy to eat soup that day,
instead of caviar (any of you ever had that stuff)!

The best caviar is the orange flying fish eggs on sushi rolls.