Ink Refill Quality

Dave C.

I have an HP7660 with #56, #57 and #58 cartridges. There are two or three
ink refill suppliers available and they state that the refill ink is as good
or better that the OEM cartridges. What experience does anyone have
regarding the quality regarding photo printing and susceptibility to fading?

--
Dave C.

(e-mail address removed)9et

Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

Bob Headrick

Dave C. said:
I have an HP7660 with #56, #57 and #58 cartridges. There are two or three
ink refill suppliers available and they state that the refill ink is as good
or better that the OEM cartridges. What experience does anyone have
regarding the quality regarding photo printing and susceptibility to fading?

See http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_Cheap_Inks_2003_10.pdf for
test data.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_FadeFactor_Nov_2002.pdf covers some
paper differences as well.

Douglas

First off,the links lock up my computer.Second,since I do not know what it
said,I assume you are saying refills are bad! I just want to say,I normally
do not refill my cartridges,but refill ink can be as good as the oem uses.I
have 6 inkjets,I use refills in my low end HP with good results.I would not
use it in my Epson 2200.Also as for your employer (HP) I have found that the
quality of their printers is taking a nose dive in recent years.I just had
my third service call on my HP 4600 color laser.It has a total of 2246
prints.I made a deal to trade it in on a Minolta 3300DN.My HP 4500N lasted
for 4800 prints before it was traded for the 4600.If HP can not build a
reliable printer,why do you think their INK is so much better?

Life is fun

I don't need to defend Bob Headrick but the info he provided was in ADOBE
PDF format and the articles appeared in PC World for Sept, 2003 and Nov,
2002. It seems that PC World quoted from Wilheim Research

I guess you can go there to find out what was said.

So much is written about 3rd party inks that, IMHO, are contradictory and
ONLY based on personal experience that convey an underlying bias. Wilheim
and a few others are trying to show through a systematic and organized
methodology, the results of printing with inkjets.

If the photographers will remember, the BEST life that could be expected
without much COLOR fade was ILFORDCHROMEs and as told to me about, 29 years.
Of course a 16 x 20 inch would cost 60-75 US dollars ( as recent as one
year ago); the same shop is now selling the 16 x 20 for $20. I guess
competition works

Now, with the Epson pigments and proper paper, about 70-80 years is the
common number of years mentioned. Not sure the cost but a 13 x 19 inch
print off an Epson would cost no more then 3 or 4 dollars for the inks and
paper.

I think the COST per print BECOMES insignificant when you are looking at
longevity. If one is doing high volume text printing, then why even an
inkjet? If one is printing photos, that is another issue. HOWEVER, the
local COSTCO is printing using traditional wet printing equipment and you
can purchase a 12 x 18 print for $3.23 ( that includes local taxes) In a
comparison between a 8.5 x 11 inch print using a Canon i960 and the COSTCO
12 x 18, I saw NO difference in color or detail but I did all the work in
Photoshop. Only time will tell as to fade since I have both hanging on the
same wall next to each other.

"Douglas" <.> wrote in message : First off,the links lock up my computer.Second,since I do not know what it
: said,I assume you are saying refills are bad! I just want to say,I
normally
: do not refill my cartridges,but refill ink can be as good as the oem
uses.I
: have 6 inkjets,I use refills in my low end HP with good results.I would
not
: use it in my Epson 2200.Also as for your employer (HP) I have found that
the
: quality of their printers is taking a nose dive in recent years.I just had
: my third service call on my HP 4600 color laser.It has a total of 2246
: prints.I made a deal to trade it in on a Minolta 3300DN.My HP 4500N lasted
: for 4800 prints before it was traded for the 4600.If HP can not build a
: reliable printer,why do you think their INK is so much better?
: : >
: > : > > I have an HP7660 with #56, #57 and #58 cartridges. There are two or
: three
: > > ink refill suppliers available and they state that the refill ink is
as
: good
: > > or better that the OEM cartridges. What experience does anyone have
: > > regarding the quality regarding photo printing and susceptibility to
: fading?
: >
: > See http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_Cheap_Inks_2003_10.pdf
: for
: > test data.
: > http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_FadeFactor_Nov_2002.pdf
covers
: some
: > paper differences as well.
: >
: > Regards,
: > Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
: >
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Bob Headrick

Douglas said:
First off,the links lock up my computer.Second,since I do not know what it
said,I assume you are saying refills are bad! I just want to say,I normally
do not refill my cartridges,but refill ink can be as good as the oem uses.

The links are pdf files, you need adobe acrobat reader to open them. I was not
saying anything about refills, just pointing to some laboratory data on
lightfastness testing on manufacturer's vs. alternative inks. From a
lightfastness standpoint there were significant differences. Your browser
might be happier with this link:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,pg,1,00.asp or
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,pg,2,00.asp

Quoting from the article: "We found that third-party inks can save you money,
and that some produce prints on a par with the output of printer vendor inks.
But we also encountered third-party inks that produced poor-quality prints and
clogged up printheads. The impact of generic inks on printer warranties is
ambiguous. And if you frequently print photographs, you should steer clear of
these inks: The prints might look fine, but Wilhelm reported that none of the
clone inks he tested came close to matching the permanence of brand-name inks."