Incontinent kettle

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
My quest is very simple, I'm looking for a new electric kettle, because ours has suddenly become incontinent. Yesterday morning, we discovered it sitting in a pool of water. It's a Philips brand, just over two years old, so really not that old.

So there are plenty of kettles around, all shapes, sizes and prices, but it's actually proving to be quite difficult to find the "right" one.

It has to hold 1.7 litres - no less - and ideally, be QUIET in operation. (The Philips drowned-out conversation, the radio and just about everything else... in both the noise and liquid sense latterly.)

So to assist us in making a choice, I've been reading quite a few reviews. The kettles which boast supposedly-good features are - it would seem - often let-down by those particular selling-points.

I'm probably a bit perverse, but when there are lots of 4 and 5-star ratings, I just cannot resist heading straight for the 1 and 2-star comments, which can be quite revealing. They speak of lids being loose and falling off when boiling water is being poured, thus burning the hands of the users.

Then, there are the leakers, sound-blasters, frequent-travelers (they're the out-of-the-box faulty ones which have to be returned several times before the buyer eventually gives-up in favour of choosing a different brand.) The ones which produce strange-tasting water (irrespective of whether they're made of stainless steel or plastic.) ... The sloooow-coaches which take a week to boil (yes okay, an exaggeration, but you get the idea.) The dribbly-spout brigade and the ones which wobble on their bases!

Of the 5-star variety... "reviewers" mainly seem to bang-on about the aesthetic beauty of their chosen product, as they casually mention how well it matches their brand-new kitchen, with it's fabulous work-surfaces made from left-over moon granite, sourced from NASA.

General searches via Mr Google, have looked promising..... right until I try to track-down the ideal-sounding kettle, only to find that it's out-of-stock or discontinued! Bah humbug!

Opinions are subjective, of course, and one individual's idea of "quiet" is someone else's Bedlam. So, 24 hours and a lot of internet research later.... we're still searching.

So, is anyone here using a nice QUIET, fast-boiling, 1.7 litre (or 2 litre) "continent" kettle, that they would be happy to recommend please?

Oh - before anyone suggests a stove-top kettle, no, that wouldn't suit either, because there isn't sufficient hob-space when I'm cooking. It's also a bit slow.
14.gif
coffee-break.gif

14.gif

Reaction score
did buy a cheapish one from sainsburys recently that does the job.
but then as long as it boils the water i dont really care how loud it is!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What you are seeking no longer exist, was discontinued in 1945.

If you find a kettle, under £20, that does what is says on the box, let me know. :)

I had to go look ... I really like this one, only problem is, it don't boil water for coffee. :rolleyes: oh, and if you ask the price, you can't afford it. :lol:

You can get them from Amazon :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
What you are seeking no longer exist, was discontinued in 1945.
Well surprisingly, we dug out our old Hinari (cheapie) kettle, which has to be about 15 years old I should think. It's whisper quiet, holds 2 L of water... but, has a fault. Every time the lid is opened to fill it, condensation from inside the lid, drips onto the switch at the top. So not the best design lol. (This is the reason we just keep it as a spare.)

If you find a kettle, under £20, that does what is says on the box, let me know. :)

I had to go look ... I really like this one, only problem is, it don't boil water for coffee. :rolleyes: oh, and if you ask the price, you can't afford it. :lol:

You can get them from Amazon :)
Oh I looked at some similar ones on the UK site - they start at £30 HERE but none hold more than about 1.5 to 1.6 litres. Would be handy to be able to set the temp for coffee, instead of having to dive for the off-switch at just the right moment though.:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I went through two Sainsburys own brand cheapies, both lasted around 18 months then one pegged out and the started leaking - absolute tosh.

Have now had a Breville upright chrome finish, 1.7L, quiet (ish) well, much much quieter than the Sainsburys ones were, and it's been good to go now for 3.5 years. It cost £20 from... Sainsburys :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I went through two Sainsburys own brand cheapies, both lasted around 18 months then one pegged out and the started leaking - absolute tosh.

Have now had a Breville upright chrome finish, 1.7L, quiet (ish) well, much much quieter than the Sainsburys ones were, and it's been good to go now for 3.5 years. It cost £20 from... Sainsburys :D

Now that sounds promising Flopps.

Can I ask whether it will allow you to boil a second fill of water (before the kettle has fully cooled, I mean?) One of our previous kettles (can't recall the brand) was a pain. After boiling, I might use a portion of the water for something, then want to top it up and hit the boil switch again... but it wouldn't let me. The kettle would flatly refuse to remain switched-on. It was a bit of a diva. :rolleyes:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help here. I gave up on electric kettles years ago and bought a cheapo stainless kettle to go on the gas hob. Have had it for around 6 years and it does what it says on the tin :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
In a sudden fit of "better the devil you know..." we decided to go for another of the same. :blush: Still going to need ear-defenders and a loud-hailer, (kidding!) but it has its good points too. Very stable, quick to boil and, at the moment, it's reduced to just £21.59 (from £27.99.) .:D

41xhY2v68xL._SS500_.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Now that sounds promising Flopps.

Can I ask whether it will allow you to boil a second fill of water (before the kettle has fully cooled, I mean?) One of our previous kettles (can't recall the brand) was a pain. After boiling, I might use a portion of the water for something, then want to top it up and hit the boil switch again... but it wouldn't let me. The kettle would flatly refuse to remain switched-on. It was a bit of a diva. :rolleyes:

No probs with a quick reboil, or bringing boiled water in the kettle back to the boil a couple of minutes after it had previously boiled.

But it no matter now do it? You gotta Phiwiips :D

tbh I just chose the Breville on looks and after vowing never to buy another cheapie so it was sheer luck I managed to get a reasonable one.

Should you wish for a real kettle experience, just head on up to London town, take part in a demonstration of some sort, preferably one full of leftie pinkoes in the city's financial district, and the local boys in blue will give you a kettling experience you'll never forget :) All sing together 'You ain't goin' nowhere... tra la la'

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Flopps - I'll be keeping that in mind, just in case the new kettle turns out to be leaky and we have to exchange it. (Some other reviewers mentioned leaks... but to be fair, our kettle was fine until very recently. Have also managed to find a note regarding the purchase date... it would have been 3 yrs old in July, so not bad service.)

It has been our experience that price doesn't always accurately reflect quality. We have occasionally purchased expensive kettles (and, very notably, a fridge-freezer) which turned-out to be less reliable than the cheapies we had to purchase in haste to replace them! All a matter of luck, I suppose.

It's the reason I like to do a spot of research before buying things... opinions expressed in reviews will sometimes vary greatly. But they will often indicate a frequently-occurring problem with an item, which can be helpful.

Okay, who's for a cuppa...? :D

Ask a Question