Windows XP Improving Windows XP startup

Reaction score
Is it possible to configure windows so that only it and the security software start up on boot? I have tried the msconfig route but get lost because I don't know what most of the programmes do. Is there a site that gives an explanation of these?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you google the filenames you can probably find out what they are. Our startup files database will also contain many of the entries : https://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup

I've seen some computers with 10+ surplus entries in msconfig which simply aren't needed (often for things like quicktime etc...).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Only use MSCONFIG to "see" what is there, it is NOT recommended you use it to remove startup programs ... in essence it's a diagnostic tool.

Uninstall any program in your "start-up folder" you do not require, simply drag-n-drop others that you do not need to startup to anywhere you like.

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/07/06/2-free-tuneup-utilities-2008-product-key/

The above will help you I'm sure.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I shall be spending some time on this before I can report back on my success. I seem to remember way back in my early computer days in the 70s that one could start a computer with the operating system alone and then load and unload individual programmes as they were needed. Is this still possible because some days I only need Word and Excel, whereas others I'm just on the internet.

Reaction score
Why not try something like nLite to make a slimline XP. I used it for my XP laptop. Got rid of a tonne of crap that is not needed, and now it boots up in seconds....

Reaction score
I'm a new user so please forgive me if I'm going about this wrong. I took your advice and checked each file name and unchecked the box of programs not needed. When I clicked apply a box opened that said I didn't have administrative powers. It's my computer and nobody else uses it. Can you help me as my boot up time is extensive. Thank You

Ask a Question