Importing Gantt chart data from Excel

G

PowerPoint and Excel 97
I have a Gantt chart in Excel that creates a timeline, showing duration of activities over a series of months. When I copy that same datasheet into PowerPoint to create the chart, it doesn't create the same chart. I can copy the chart from Excel, but I want the actual data in PowerPoint so if a presenter wants to change the timeline just before the presentation, they can do so without having to also have the Excel file

Any suggestions? Thank you
MaryAnne

S

Steve Rindsberg

PowerPoint and Excel 97:
I have a Gantt chart in Excel that creates a timeline, showing duration of activities
over a series of months. When I copy that same datasheet into PowerPoint to create the
chart, it doesn't create the same chart. I can copy the chart from Excel, but I want
the actual data in PowerPoint so if a presenter wants to change the timeline just
before the presentation, they can do so without having to also have the Excel file.

If you copy/paste from Excel to PowerPoint, the contents of the Excel file will be
embedded in the PPT (so be sure to remove any jokes at the boss' expense and such).

They'll just need to have Excel and PPT installed on the computer, that's it.

G

So cutting the chart from Excel and pasting it into PowerPoint is my only option? Is there not a way to make the Gantt-like timeline chart generate correctly in PowerPoint from a data also contained in PowerPoint

Thank you
MaryAnn

----- Steve Rindsberg wrote: ----
PowerPoint and Excel 97
I have a Gantt chart in Excel that creates a timeline, showing duration of activities
over a series of months. When I copy that same datasheet into PowerPoint to create the
chart, it doesn't create the same chart. I can copy the chart from Excel, but I want
the actual data in PowerPoint so if a presenter wants to change the timeline just
before the presentation, they can do so without having to also have the Excel file

If you copy/paste from Excel to PowerPoint, the contents of the Excel file will be
embedded in the PPT (so be sure to remove any jokes at the boss' expense and such)

They'll just need to have Excel and PPT installed on the computer, that's it

-
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MV
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.co
PPTools: www.pptools.co

S

Steve Rindsberg

So cutting the chart from Excel and pasting it into PowerPoint is my only option?
Is there not a way to make the Gantt-like timeline chart generate correctly in
PowerPoint from a data also contained in PowerPoint?

You can beat MSGraph (the thing that does the graphing for PowerPoint) into doing a
Gantt type chart by creating a stacked horizontal bar chart and fiddling the data so
that ... well here's an example. Say you have a task that runs from week 5 to 6.
You'd want to make the first plotted value 5 and have it set to transparent, the next
value is 1 (5 + 1 to get to 6) and set to a plotted color, and so on.

Real tedious, and if anybody who doesn't understand what you've done tries to edit
it, it's a mess.

If you've got a nice Gantt chart in Excel and it makes sense to the casual user, I'd
leave it in Excel.

Ask a Question