Import Email Address AutoComplete from Outlook Express

Phil C.

Hi. I have a friend who I helped transfer email and contacts from Outlook
Express on her
Win 98 computer to Outlook 2003 on her new computer.
I had to import the dbx files from her old computer's outlook express to the
outlook express on her new computer, then exported the contacts and email
from outlook express on her new computer to outlook 2003 on her new compter.

HOWEVER, she says that when composing messages, the address book/contacts
autocomplete that normally starts filling in email addresses on the To: line
no longer works
for her hundreds of contacts.

I googled and found info on transferring autocomplete info from outlook to
outlook, BUT NOT from outlook express to outlook. Is this possible, and if
so, how???

Phil
Boston, MA

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Autocompletion has nothing to do with Contacts data. It uses a cache of
names derived from messages that have been sent. That cache is empty in a
new installation.

Phil C.

Russ, is the cache stored in a particular folder/file in the Outlook Express
file store folder??

I was trying to find out if it could be massaged into an NK2 file.

The previous replier was confused, as I am interested in Outlook 2003
functioning
as the only client used by my friend.

Phil

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Phil C. said:
[...]

As with all features, Outlook and OE have nothing in common. Autocompletion
in OE is a completely different function that does use Contacts data. There
is no separate file.
Once you have imported Contacts from OE into Outlook, it is fairly easy to
populate your NK2 file all at once. Randy has the instructions in the link
he posted. Just go to "Building a new NK2 file from data recovered using our
Owtlook program:"
and start at step 8. You won't even have to purchase Owtlook to do this, but
if it works, perhaps you should :)

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Phil C. said:
[...]

Thanks Russ and Randy.

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Randy

Vinas,

If you're going to try to drive traffice to your website by telling people
to NOT BUY our utility, at least point out the subtle differences:

Ingressor - Does have an import utililty OR you can add records one at a
time
Ingressor - Does export and display ALL relevant data, NAME, SMTP address,
GAL alias, x500 data
Ingressor - Does read all FAX, EXCHANGE, MAPIPDL, and SMTP records in the
file
Ingressor - Provides for the ability to globally change any part of any of
the above fields within the NK2
Ingressor - Is fast
Ingressor - Will be able to view, export PKI data
Ingressor - Can run in a commandline mode to correct NK2 files in 1,000's of
files, automatically

NK2csv - is slow, and only strips out the e-mail address.

We believe in a free market society and think that customers will find that
the NK2CSV utility, while it may serve some users, is truly worth the price
Vinas said:
Don't purchase Owtlook, there is a free program to help you called
NK2csv. It exports your Outlook autocomplete file or NK2 file to a CSV
or comma separated value file which Outlook can import.

http://www.epute.com/nk2csv/

good luck

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
[...]

-

-

[/i]
[/QUOTE]

Vinas

Russ,

Your product is too expensive and people have been downloading NK2csv
like crazy. Im not trying to make money here, you are. Deal with it.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Why are you dragging me into this? He's Randy. I'm Russ. I have nothing to
do with it.
Now that you've asked me, though, I can't help but notice it seems a bit
ingenuous for you to tell users _not_ to purchase his program as if yours
did the same--especially if, as you claim, you are not in it to make money.
That type of statement makes me wonder what you are in it for.