Need Contacts / Address Book

chesspupil

I have my friends motherboard-dead PC here at my home and she needs he
outlook address book retored to her new computer (I think she mean
contacts, but perhaps they are one and the same.)

I have her hard drive removed and am able to read the hard drive dat
in it perfectly via USB. The OUTLOOK program I have (07) was able t
open the PST file she had, (and review the email she had) but I coul
not find the PAB file.

Oddly enough her PST file was in the ROOT folder (C:\)

I Do not believe she ever exported the address book with the old PC
Her new PC does not yet have OUTLOOK installed yet, but we can procee
with that once she has the files needed.

She has a separate (initial email plus one other) PST file in th
application data folder, and a 1KB dat file.

I realize she should be able to manually rebuild the address book fro
her emails, but I was hoping for a simpler solution.

Any ideas

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

No need to keep reposting.
No need to wait for a response either. No question is answered here more
frequently. Just read the posts.
There is no address book in Outlook, only Contacts Folders. All Outlook data
is stored in one file and how to migrate that file is well documented. The
file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail,
calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

chesspupil

First Russ, thank you. I dont understand your statement: {No need t
keep reposting.
No need to wait for a response either. No question is answered her
more
frequently. }

I posted in THIS forum only once. I did post it in a seperate forum
to a seperate audience, if you are a member there as well, then I a
sure you could have see the same post twice. Please view my request a
looking for an answer from a wider audience, not the same audienc
twice.

;320739']No need to keep reposting.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"chesspupil" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I have my friends motherboard-dead PC here at my home and she need
her
outlook address book retored to her new computer (I think she means
contacts, but perhaps they are one and the same.)

I have her hard drive removed and am able to read the hard drive data
in it perfectly via USB. The OUTLOOK program I have (07) was able to
open the PST file she had, (and review the email she had) but I could
not find the PAB file.

Oddly enough her PST file was in the ROOT folder (C:\)

I Do not believe she ever exported the address book with the old PC.
Her new PC does not yet have OUTLOOK installed yet, but we ca
proceed
with that once she has the files needed.

She has a separate (initial email plus one other) PST file in the
application data folder, and a 1KB dat file.

I realize she should be able to manually rebuild the address boo
from
her emails, but I was hoping for a simpler solution.

Any ideas?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Correction: You posted to this group twice with an identical post 20 minutes
apart.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
chesspupil said:
First Russ, thank you. I dont understand your statement: {No need to
keep reposting.
No need to wait for a response either. No question is answered here
more
frequently. }

I posted in THIS forum only once. I did post it in a seperate forum,
to a seperate audience, if you are a member there as well, then I am
sure you could have see the same post twice. Please view my request as
looking for an answer from a wider audience, not the same audience
[...]

OUTLOOK Express is the application my friend used and she did no
understand the difference. The PST file only contains threads up to
years ago, so I am looking for another file somewhere... I am lookin
for a way to import the DBX files from the old hard drive.

Russ, I politely state that you are wrong.

As proof I just searched OUTLOOKBANTER.COM and found only one threa
and the reply posts by me, this one.

The other post I placed was on SLIPSTICK.COM

Perhaps you have your RSS feeds mixed up or combined.

Please send me the link to the separate post if you still disagree,
do appreciate your help, but I must stand up for what is right.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Then the group to which you should have posted is
This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002, 2003 & 2007 the
Office family.

for all the microsoft.public newsgroups).

Another good source of info can be found here:
http://www.insideoe.com/

chesspupil

So in the instance where users do not use a news feed, they only see th
post once? Would that not be similar to a well-to-do family having
major TV network on more than one channel... (and me the guy who has t
swivel the antenna to pick up two such stations?

Which to me seems like ignoring the little guy.

Honestly I could see your point if I posted in several differen
subtopics, but I did not.

Still Thanks for your help.

BTW,

I think I found the files and the method to restore yesterday, bu
thanks for your help

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Multiposting simply sends several others off to answer your question when
only one was needed. So it wastes other people's time.