Impermanent Screen Resolution

Reaction score
Acer Aspire 2000 (Cl32) runs WinXP/Pro/Sp3 and can be set to display in its native resolution of 1280 x 800 from its ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video card. However, when it reboots, it reverts to 640 x 480, and often blames an absent or corrupt video driver. My remedy is to UNinstall the video driver from Device Manager and reboot, but I'd like to have native resolution without going through this 'readjustment' at every reboot. Any suggestions ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You probably need something like THIS to clean out the 'old' drivers from the places in the registry that 'uninstall/reinstall' doesn't get at. (add-remove programs always leaves "stuff" behind)

do not click the green download buttons, they are adds :rolleyes:

Pay particular attention to the method of use.

:user:

other software is available to do the same job

Reaction score
Muckshifter, I'm afraid that DriverSweeper would not run - and did not need to, because as one of the many suggestion I've followed, I uninstalled the driver by means of its own uninstaller software, instead of from Device Manager. On reboot, I was able to set it to 1204 x 786, 32bit colour, and it kept returning to that resolution after multiple reboots. The PROBLEM seems to be solved, even though Device Manager shows the Video controller with a '?' Thanks for your interest.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you're welcome ... glad you got it sorted. :)

Ask a Question