Display changes to low resolution after reboot

G

After any startup or reboot, the display settings revert to 640 x480 resolution. I am using 1024 x 768. I reset the resolution and apply, works fine. But upon reboot I get 640 x 480. I have a Radeon 9600 Pro video card and a 17 inch LCD monitor. The drivers are correct. In safe mode it's 600X800. Changing to 1024x768 doesn't resolve the problem. The resolution was fine and just started this problem on a reboot a few days ago. How can I get the 1024x768 resolution to stay after I reboot/boot up?

F

Frenchy

Sounds like your display driver is corrupt.

Have you downloaded the latest Catalyst driver for that card from ATI?
Here
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=12&submit.y=10

Dated 17 Dec/03. Note also the way of installing these.

Also assume you are not losing the .inf file for the Monitor? In other words, when it drops
down in resolution, does a check of the Adapter type show your LCD model name?

Frenchy

jgalk said:
After any startup or reboot, the display settings revert to 640 x480 resolution. I am
using 1024 x 768. I reset the resolution and apply, works fine. But upon reboot I get 640
x 480. I have a Radeon 9600 Pro video card and a 17 inch LCD monitor. The drivers are
correct. In safe mode it's 600X800. Changing to 1024x768 doesn't resolve the problem. The
resolution was fine and just started this problem on a reboot a few days ago. How can I get
the 1024x768 resolution to stay after I reboot/boot up?

G

Thanks for responding. I have a 12/02/03 version installed. I will install the 12/1703 version. When I rebooted, I checked the adapter type and it was correct - ViewSonic. I had a problem with DirectX install, but got it working and says no problems in the video card.

G

Frenchy, I have the same driver extension as the one I have installed. So not that solution. The .inf file loss does sound pausible still. Any other thoughts. This has been a mind tester. Cost $35 for Microsoft technician. I have an OEM version.

F

Frenchy

Make sure you have latest Catalyst driver where you can find it.

Uninstall the ATI Driver software from ADD/REMOVE

Then reboot

F8 to go into SAFE MODE

Install the new ATI driver from within safe mode

Reboot to normal. It will find a bunch of hardware but install from what U just installed
and then ask to reboot. Shud be good from there.

What Motherboard do you have? In other words what are the MoBo Chipsets? If VIA, then go
to the Via arena web page

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Download the latest Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers (top middle) Install from the exe file and
select NORMAL install.

If U don't have VIA chipset, then find your MoBo drivers and install.

Hope that helps

Frenchy

jgalk said:
Frenchy, I have the same driver extension as the one I have installed. So not that
solution. The .inf file loss does sound pausible still. Any other thoughts. This has been
a mind tester. Cost $35 for Microsoft technician. I have an OEM version.

G

I will reinstall the 3.10 I downloaded as suggested. I have an ASUS motherboard A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD processor 2500 XP. I built this computer last week from purchased parts. They a NDividia chipsets. Loaded the latest 4 in 1.

G

It's an NDividia board. Have the correct drivers installed. Uninstalled and reinstalled the catalyst drivers to no avail. Friend said it's a bios conflict. Have ati board and an ndividia on motherboard. Have to disable ndividia motherboard vga is I can find it.

F

Frenchy

Hit Delete at start-up and get into the BIOS settings, it will be under one of those
screens.

I only said about the wrong drivers as you said "You had the 4 in 1 drivers installed".
Those are VIA driver names not NVIDIA.

Frenchy

jgalk said:
It's an NDividia board. Have the correct drivers installed. Uninstalled and reinstalled
the catalyst drivers to no avail. Friend said it's a bios conflict. Have ati board and an
ndividia on motherboard. Have to disable ndividia motherboard vga is I can find it.

Ask a Question