Im in a pickle here.....

Reaction score
Im trying to upgrade my video card from an nVidia TNT2 32 meg to something that I can Game with..With all of the choices out there on video cards ,each one claiming to be "The Cats Pajama's" its really hard to decide, its even harder trying to figure out if the card I do choose will even be compatable with my system..Thats my pickle and its a sour one...

My system was built by me a year ago, it consists of a Biostar M7VIT Pro Mobo, a WD 80 gig HDD,AMD Athlon 1.6 ghz CPU, Coolermaster fan and heatsink, 512 mb of Corsair PC-3200 Ram, a New Sony 16X DVD Burner and a Soundblaster Audigy Se Card..I had all of this in a 19" rackmount server case... I had eveything in a rackmount ,I composed music for years and went thru this rackmount phase ..lol I just bought this new case off of e-pray pretty cheaply its an all black job with the fancy plexiglass side and blue led on the fan, with the blue LCD display on the front panel (Classy looking I must say) I also bought a 650 watt PS with 3 110 volt outlets on the back of it and 2 -12volt outputs and 1-5 volt output on the back as well... According to the documentation on my Mobo it has AGP 4X and 8X..I bought an ATI Radeon 9600XT Card off e-pray and fought with the darn thing for a week before I finally smashed it against the wall in a fit of utter rage..It would run 2d stuff (internet etc...) but it simply would crash when I tried to play any 3D games on it..Anyway I assume that 4X AGP is 2.0 compliant and 8X AGP is 3.0 compliant respectively am I correct? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I just want to be really careful about what card I choose,I have a little money but Im by no means a ga-zillion-aire..Id like to put a card in here for under 2
hundred if possible...(maybe cheaper for a new one on the bay?) Any and all opinions and suggestions to my pickle would surely sweeten it a lot (Smile)

Sorry for the longish post..... Thanks Bunches!!! Galaxybr8

Reaction score
I just thought I'd warn people about ATI Radeon graphics cards. I had my computer built now since christmas and its working with few problems but my MSI RX1300 card crashes at random times when trying to play 3d games. I've done some research and this seems to be a common problem with ATI. However the card does work well inbetween crashing and its was only £40. I might end up scrapping it and getting a nVidia.

p.s Does anyone know a solution to my problem? The card crashes at random times and then after a while comes back with a message about VPU recover.

Thanks

Hallam

Ask a Question