described the problem exactly. But there were no replies to the
message. :(

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. Dean Aug 25 2003, 12:02 am show options

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
From: "Dean" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:01:26 -0700

Have a 2.8ghz P4, 1024MB Ram, 120gb HDD, XP Pro SP1, with
most of the updates/patches in place. The problem is,
after using Windows for an undetermined time, and having
multiple (6-9) IE windows open, IE stops opening more
windows. If you close one or two, that will help for a
short period of time, allowing opening of a window then
the same thing. If you do happen to get an IE window to
open then I'm missing parts of the window, address bar
and standard buttons for instance. The only cure is to
reboot.

I have cleared my cache, deleted all temporary folders,
cleared cookies, installed a memory optimizer, in
attempts to fix this problem. btw, this is a fresh
reformat/clean install of XP. I can't figure out if its
software related or what. Any suggestions?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am getting the EXACT same problem.

When using IE, especially for thumbnails, and reading message board
topics, I will open multiple links in new windows.(ie 10 to 15
sometimes)

Then I will view/read each one and close it. Then when I am back to
the originally window with the links I will open another set of links
in new windows. (I have been doing this for years.)

After I upgraded to XP sp2 is when the problem started.

At some point, when I right click to open a new window, the window that
opens is NOT a complete window. It is only the window box and nothing
is displayed. After that I can no longer get the right click context
menu.

IF I close some windows, I CAN open new windows, but it is always 1
less than I had opened before.

Eventually I am down to only the original window, and I cant get the
context menu to appear anymore.

I have also tried clearing the cashe and cookies, and temporary IE
files.

Anyone have any clue what is wrong?

wasjohnnyringo

PA said:
When did you upgrade to SP2?

Try taking out /all/ the trash: http://aumha.org/a/health.htm (#4)

Hmm actualy I didn't upgrade to sp2.

I had a hard drive failure that couldnot be fixed. The techs had to
install a new HD and they put XP sp2 on it.

(I actualy requested they put sp1 on the new HD, as I did not want to
upgrade to sp2. But they put in sp2.)

This was about 2-3 months ago. I have had the problem since then.

I am fully uptodate on all Wix XP patches and security fixes.

I had the same problem today, very annoying. It turned out to be
Macromedia's Flash player. When I disabled it the problem went away. So I
uninstalled it.