IE freezes up

I'm having problems with IE on two different computers. I am running Windows
XP with SP2 on both of them. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 on both
computers. All of the Windows Updates are current.

On my laptop, IE freezes when I am trying to check my aol account. I have
to do a ctrl-alt-delete, end program to get out. On my desktop, IE freezes
when trying to access a website with pdf files, as well as other sites. I
have tried all of the suggestions given to fix the problem--disabling
third-party addons, runing ad-aware, spybot, and Microsoft Anti-Syware (Beta).

How do I fix this problem?

Jan Il

Hi MARK :)

This is possibly being caused by third party programs-malware, parasites,
Trojans, etc

From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third
party browser extensions."
If this allows IE to work, then you still have scumware on your system.
First clean you machine, then Disable the "third party browser extensions."
after the cleanup.

Although you have already run AdAware and Spybot, you may have some other
forms of malware on your system that is causing this problem they can not
detect, or, you may not have run them in Safe Mode with Hidden Files enabled
which will enable them to more fully scan your system. Work through the
information here to fully clean your system:

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

And....go here and have this free online virus scan:

also.....

Internet Explorer freezes
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers3.htm#freezing

and........

Exit all programs that are running.
Click Start>Run>then copy and paste the following command into the window

regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll, and then click OK or hit enter.

You should see "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded", click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, then register all the following
commands by copying them into the window one at a time the same as you did
the regsvr32 /I urlmon.dll above, hitting enter and then Ok after each one.

Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll

Hope this helps :)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Don Varnau

Hi,
In addition to Jan's excellent advice, there are additional possibilities at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers3.htm#freezing
and
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_5.htm#shuts_down

Also... quick and easy first step: Login as administrator or another user
with admin privileges and delete the Temporary Internet Files folders for
the affected user accounts. You can't delete the TIF for the currently
logged in user- it's "in use by Windows."

For the PDF problem, I would try reinstalling Adobe Reader. Do you have the
latest version?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"MARK" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Jan,
Thanks for your note. I tried all of your suggestions. When I tried to
register the list of commands, the following ones could not be registered:
msjava.dll
oleaut32.dll
actxprxy.dll
Each one said it was loaded, but could not be registered.

Mark

Don,
One of the articles you referenced talked about updating the video driver.
How do I determine what driver I have?
Mark

"MARK" wrote in message
I'm having problems with IE on two different computers. I am running Windows
XP with SP2 on both of them. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 on both
computers. All of the Windows Updates are current.

On my laptop, IE freezes when I am trying to check my aol account. I have
to do a ctrl-alt-delete, end program to get out. On my desktop, IE freezes
when trying to access a website with pdf files, as well as other sites. I
have tried all of the suggestions given to fix the problem--disabling
third-party addons, runing ad-aware, spybot, and Microsoft Anti-Syware (Beta).

How do I fix this problem?

Jan Il

Hi Mark :)
Don,
One of the articles you referenced talked about updating the video driver.
How do I determine what driver I have?
Mark

IE can be very hard on video drivers. See if the information here will help:

How To Update Video Driver

If you don't know the loacation of your Video driver, or how to find it:
Location for XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314854
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/learnmore/updatingdrivers.mspx
or......
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314854
Find the information on your video driver. Then go to the website for mfg.
of the video driver and look for the update to download and install. There
may also be a Update Driver button on the dialog box you can use to go
direct to the update download site.

also........

Try reducing hardware acceleration:
Right click on the Desktop on an open area,
Properties>Settings>Advanced>Troubleshoot
Move the slider back to the left a little and test to see if that helps.
Try it at increments until you get all the way to the left end to see if
that helps.

"MARK" wrote in message
I'm having problems with IE on two different computers. I am running Windows
XP with SP2 on both of them. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 on
both
computers. All of the Windows Updates are current.

On my laptop, IE freezes when I am trying to check my aol account. I
have
to do a ctrl-alt-delete, end program to get out. On my desktop, IE freezes
when trying to access a website with pdf files, as well as other sites.
have tried all of the suggestions given to fix the problem--disabling
third-party addons, runing ad-aware, spybot, and Microsoft Anti-Syware (Beta).

How do I fix this problem?

Jan Il

Hi Mark :)

You may have some corrupted or damaged files. Try doing a repair of the IE
according to the instructions here:

First, see if you can do a System Restore to a date prior to the time the
problem started:
How to do a System Restore in XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

If this will not help, then you may need to repair of the IE:

First, disable your AV:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
The section
Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet
Explorer 6 works on earlier versions of Windows.

Be sure to visit Windows Update site and let it scan for all needed updates
and service packs afterward.