IE desktop icon keeps telling me IE is not the default browser

I keep clicking make it the default. somehow it is not retained.
I had renamed the c:\programfiles\internet explorer\iexplore.exe to
_iexplore.exe in an attempt to choke a spyware that my security software
wasnt dealing with.

Now from windows explorer, when I click on a jpeg file, I get this message:
"windows can not find iexplore~1.exe. this program is needed for opening
files of type 'jpeg'." I keep clicking 'location' and directing the dialog
box to \program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe but I have to start all
over with the 'IE not default browser" message...
Ive tried reinstalling IE and it tells me I already have an up to date IE
installed.
Geesh. Anyone out there in hyperspace got a clue to share? It would be
greatly appreciated!

Don Varnau

Hi,

Windows XP?
Open Control Panel> Add or remove programs> Set program access
and defaults> Working with either Microsoft or Custom, enable access to IE
and make it the default browser.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"windows cant find iexplore~1.exe" <windows cant find
[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...