IE 6.0 SP1

Jackie Palmer

Every time IE is started, the home page loads, then
freezes for about 30 sec. In the lower right corner, the
bar that fills up as the page loads stays full. During
this time, I cannot scroll the page, click on any links,
or use any of the buttons or menu options at the top of
the screen. When it goes back to normal and I go to
another page, the whole thing happens again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated before every use, even when just
downloaded. There's also a lot more to do than just those two programs.
CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
in the same thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Mike Gaffney

I have had the same problem for about a week on all of the
my computers(4)I use XP with IE6 I have had to stat using
Netscape 7.1 as it does not have the issues. My guess is
that it started with one of the updates. I do not have
spywear on my computer and I use the full edition of McAfee
Security Center. I have even tried to tune off McAfee and
it still hangs, several of my computer friends have the
same issue.

Mike

Mike Gaffney

I found this temp fix on the administrator newsgroup but it
only is a quick fix and microsoft needs to address the
problem I hope this will narrow down the problem area for them.
Here it is:
Go to tools/internet options/advanced and uncheck
"enable third party extentions"

Ryan Gilbert

This fixed it for now. Which is all I care about. From
the amount of posts I have found all over the newsgroups
in several different forums it is pretty obvious that it
is not a spyware issue, or a really scary new spyware that
is so far undetectable. The only common item that has
happened to every computer user recently is the huge
amount of viruses that have been circulating lately. Even
though our corporate network was not infected, we still
had computers that encountered this issue, although it was
totally random as to who had these problems. I have
scoured my registry and run every single check that I
know, and still cannot find anything remotely suspicious
or out of place. It has to be some tiny little file(like
a .dll) that is piggy backing on IE 6.0 that is slowing it
down. I'm waiting for a programmer to get in there and
see if they can find anything. I'm just glad someone was
able to find a temporary fix, because I was going
craaaaaaaaaaaazy!

Ryan Gilbert
MCSE,MCSA,CCNA, blah, blah, blah, and your little dog too!

Mike Burgess

Ryan,
If unchecking that option resolves the problem, look at the option
again "3rd party", it is NOT an IE issue, it's a 3rd party issue.

Frank's suggestion to use HijackThis is correct ........
You need to post the log to a Forum that deals with HijackThis.

Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 03-02-04]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

Yes and no. It is an IE issue, because it only happens to
IE. It is also a 3rd party issue, because it is coming
from a 3rd party program. There is obviously a flaw in IE
(like this is anything new), that some program has
exploited that is making it slow down. What is the flaw
and why did it show up in the last few days? Why do some
people have it and others don't even with hundreds of
computers that are identical, and are living in the same
domain?

You can't just say it is a 3rd party issue since IE is the
only who is having it. You have to follow the logic all
the way through. Unless, of course, it is effecting other
browsers which I have not read about, then it would be
purely a 3rd party program issue; but I haven't read about
any other browswers having this issue.

As to posting any where else, sorry my little MVP's, but
I'm only posting my thoughts to this forum. I don't feel
like helping your company advertise.

Ryan the Dancing Koala

__________________________________________________________ __
[...]

MCSE,MCSA,CCNA, blah, blah, blah, and your little dog too! added
before scanning. but
it of
the top
of

.

Mike Burgess

Hi,
I don't know how much clearer I can make it ........
It's a 3rd party issue ...... simple as that. Users with legit
BHOs (Adobe, NAV, McAfee) are NOT having these
troubles. These parasites take advantage of machines that
are not properly patched and lack in basic defense .......

It showing up now because several of the latest patches
have done what they are designed to do ..... prevent these
parasites from exploiting the browser.
As to posting any where else, sorry my little MVP's, but
I'm only posting my thoughts to this forum

Well that's certainly up to you ....
" I don't feel like helping your company advertise"
And what company would that be?
[...]

That fixes the symptom, not the problem.
Try Ad-Aware and SpyBot S & D, making sure both are added
before scanning.
If they don't get it post your HijackThis log to the
forum listed in the
article.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

[...]

"Jackie Palmer"
wrote in message
Every time IE is started, the home page loads, then
freezes for about 30 sec. In the lower right
corner, the
bar that fills up as the page loads stays full.
During
this time, I cannot scroll the page, click on any
links,
or use any of the buttons or menu options at the top
of
the screen. When it goes back to normal and I go to
another page, the whole thing happens again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

.

.

.

.

Crazy

I guess I should have specified that we have several
locations all running "legit" Symantec AV Corporate
Edition, and all the servers and workstations are patched
not only by simple MS updates, but by MS Base Line
Security Analyzer patches on a weekly basis. Not to
mention the firewall, ISA server, Spybot, etc... So
making a blanket statement that all users who have these
things on their machines or on their networks are NOT
having these issues is not true. I don't disagree with
you that it COULD be a 3rd party issue, but it has to be
related to a IE 6.0 only since this is the only Browser,
that I know of so far, that is effected. Have you ever
manually checked your registry? Just running programs
like Ad-Aware and Spybot are not enough, especially for
new spyware or viruses that will not be picked up by the
scans. I have checked the registries line by line and
found nothing. Now, unless this is a revolutionary new
spyware program or virus that has just been created,
which it could be, then it must be something else. Since
it only effects IE 6.0, then it could be a flaw in IE 6.0
software that has not been published yet.

To sum it all up, to state the it could only be a 3rd
party issue, is not entirely correct. Although it is a
possibility it is not the only one. I'm not dealing with
just a few computers on a little domain, I'm dealing with
hundreds of machines across a large LAN/WAN, so basic IT
procedures and functions such as AV, Firewall, security
updates, are taken care of 24/7. As for the company you
work for, if I'm not mistaken www.mvps.org is the company
and as stated by your home page, "Microsoft is in no way
affiliated with, nor offers endorsement of, this site."
So unless you work for Microsoft and your web page is not
entirely factually correct in it's statements, then you
are a 3rd party company, that I don't feel like posting
my comments to.

Cheers!

Ryan the Crazy Snake Man

[...]

__