IE 6.0 Not working

asimons

Here is my sad story:

I have IE 6.0 service pack 2 (XP Home Edition) but it suddenly stopped
working about 2 weeks ago.
Reloaded all updates and used PCtools registry cleaner
I couldn't fix it so I loaded Firefox.
I found out IE 6.0 wasn't working because of a virus.
Loaded BellSouth virus protection
Removed virus and IE 6.0 worked just dandy.
Used "remove programs" to remove Firefox.
IE 6.0 stopped working.
I get "Application not found" when trying to use bookmarks or address
bar
Box comes up asking me to "Choose the program you want to use to open
this file."
I choose IE and it will generally open the Home page
But when I try to go past the home page I get a message: "An attempt
was made to reference a token that does not exist" (I was in Google
Analytics when this happened) and the page freezes and anywhere from 57
to 62 IE pages open with just "Internet Explorer" in the blue bar at
the top but the rest of the page is blank. In other programs the page
just freezes in the middle of loading - no error page comes up.
Tried reloading Firefox, going to different restore points before
Firefox and before removing Firefox, reloading IE 6.0 service pack and
all updates - nothing helped.
Have tried resetting web settings but clicking on "web settings" or
restoring defaults seems to have no effect.

I'm in a bad way. Can anyone help?
Thank you!

Don Varnau

Hi,
Is IE6 the default browser? Check that at Control Panel> Add or remove
programs> Set program access and defaults.

Longshot... do you have this registry key?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}
Reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/12/16/504864.aspx
You should not have this key with IE6.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

asimons

Hi Don: At your suggestion, I go to the Control Panel and changed IE6
to the default browser. Unfortunately, it did not seem to change
anything.

Sorry, I do not know what you mean by the registry key? Could you
please tell me where to check?

Thank you!

Don said:
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Go to Start | Run and type
regedit
and press <Enter>. Navigate in the left pane just like you would in Windows
Explorer.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

Don said:
Hi,
Is IE6 the default browser? Check that at Control Panel> Add or remove
programs> Set program access and defaults.

Longshot... do you have this registry key?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}
Reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/12/16/504864.aspx
You should not have this key with IE6.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
Let's try this, from MVP, Ramesh Srinivasan...
- - -
Type this in Start> Run:

cmd /c reg query "HKCR\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}"
"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\RegInfo.txt"

This is a single-line command. Then open "RegInfo.txt" file present in the
Desktop, and post the contents here. I'm trying to find if the problem is
caused by a WU fix. (Ref:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/12/16/504864.aspx)
- - -
Note (from me) you can copy/paste that command into Start> Run but will have
to edit it to remove spaces. There should not be spaces between 6}" and

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

asimons

Hi Don:

When I enter the string below in "Run" all I get is a black screen that
flashes for a second and disappears.

Then I tried the suggestion from Frank. I opened the registry and used
"find" to do a search but did not find that string.

BTW, I was trying to open a link in an email this morning. Instead of
opening it took me to a page in Windows Explorer with "Locate Link
Browser" on the top. It highlighted an install file (for what I don't
know) so I clicked it and got: "Outlook cannot start the web browser
(link reference). The web address may be incorrect or your web browser
may not be properly installed." Of course, it's not the web address
because this message comes up with every email link I click on.

What do you think I should try next?

<asimons[at]tbdbrandventures.com> wrote in message
[...]

Okay, I just find a notepad file on my laptop. Here's what was inside
it:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}
<NO NAME> REG_SZ PSFactoryBuffer

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}\InProcServer32

Is this significant?

Appreciate your help.

Anne

Don said:
[...]

Great! You're not a REGEDIT newbie anymore. ;-)

We're going to be cautious and backup (export) that registry key, then
delete it. It doesn't normally exist with IE6 on XP.

With no IE windows open, run regedit and browse to that key by expanding
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
then expand CLSID then scroll down to the key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}

Or...
Run regedit and use find, but you shouldn't have to search on the entire
string, just search on
C90250F3
When you find that key, select it, then go to File> Export and export the
key to the folder of your choice. If you need to restore that key, a
right-click. merge will return it to the registry.

Check the folder that the key should have been exported to. If the key is
there, go to the registry and (working slowly and carefully) delete this key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}

Close regedit and restart the computer.

Let me know if anything's not clear.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau wrote:
[...]

Ooooooh, Don, it worked! Thank you, thank you for hanging in there
with me. Should I save that key or permanently delete it?

Thanks so much

Anne

Don said:
Hi,
Let's try this, from MVP, Ramesh Srinivasan...
- - -
Type this in Start> Run:

cmd /c reg query "HKCR\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}"
"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\RegInfo.txt"

This is a single-line command. Then open "RegInfo.txt" file present in the
Desktop, and post the contents here. I'm trying to find if the problem is
caused by a WU fix. (Ref:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/12/16/504864.aspx)
- - -
Note (from me) you can copy/paste that command into Start> Run but will have
to edit it to remove spaces. There should not be spaces between 6}" and
"%

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau wrote:
[...]

Looks like there is still a little bit of a problem. When I am reading
email and I click on a link, I get a message, "Locate Link Browser."
There is not an option for IE. When I click okay I get a message that
says, "Outlook cannot start the web browser (link) web address may be
incorrect or your web browswer may not be properly installed." Any
suggestions on how to fix this pesky thing?

Anne

Don Varnau wrote:
[...]

Download and run (merge) this REG file to make IE6 the default browser.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg
If that doesnt clear up the "Locate Link Browser" problem, there are a few
other steps to try.

Don Varnau wrote:
[...]

Keep that exported registry key another day or so. I'm only 99.97% sure that
it won't be needed.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Ooooooh, Don, it worked! Thank you, thank you for hanging in there
with me. Should I save that key or permanently delete it?

Thanks so much

Anne
[snip]

asimons

Hi Don:

I downloaded file but when I try to run (both by clicking on the file
or by using run in the start menu) nothing seems to happen. I must be
doing something wrong? What do you mean by merge?

Don Varnau wrote:
[...]

Right click the REG file and choose Merge.

asimons

Where do I find the REG file? I have tried right clicking several
places but merge does not come up. I have looked everywhere. Sorry to
be a dummy.

I did download the file and opened it within the registery and hit run
to download into the registry but no change. The problem I am currently
having is not being able to open some web pages (when I click the url
the bar below says its finished downloading but the actual page is
blank, even for sites that I know do exist) or when I am in one or more
pages, they all close suddenly.

Thanks for your help.