Fergal

I recently bought this USB2/IEEE1394 drive enclosure
http://tinyurl.com/2psm6 . I have a Maxtor 120GB drive connected to it and
am running XP SP1 with all the updates.

When using the USB connection everything is fine, however when using the
1394 connection the drive appears in Device Manager, but not in the Disk
Management part of MMC so I cannot assign a drive letter to it or do
anything useful.

The enclosure states that it is IEEE 1394a whereas my mobo is IEEE 1394.
Should this make a difference? Anybody have a solution to this problem?

Regards

Fergal

Y

Yves Leclerc

IEEE 1394 now has two versions: IEE 1394a (480) and IEEE 1394b (800)

It should be now IEEE 1394a.

G

I've had the same problem with a Seagate 3200822ST 200GB HD in an Ultra 3 1/2" Ultra external drive case.
Seagate says it's the case vendor's problem. Ultra doesn't answer the phone after several calls & emails. TigerDirect offers no customer support other than returning the devices.
So...went though a troubleshooting matrix. Similar results on my desktop & laptop, both XP. Drive occasionally shows in the Computer Manager if power is cycled on the external drive after boot-up of the computer, but on firewire only, USB 2 won't locate it at all. Got it to format after installing it internally in my Gateway desktop, so know the drive works. Then it registered as an external drive once I reconnected it through the firewire port.
However, after many hours of screwing around trying to get things working, it's still very skitish. Today, for example, it won't load via firewire or USB 2 no matter what I try in Computer Manager or if I try add hardware or if I try to uninstall then reinstall the 1394. With the HD attached, I get a Code 10 and the event viewer shows a 1394 NIC problem with no solutions in the troubleshooter. Can't find any better driver than the MS one developed in 2001. Thanks, Microsoft, for the great plug-and-play system and old, creaky drivers.
I too am looking for suggestions to get my firewire port working with the external HD prior to giving up.
Thank you.
MEK

Ask a Question