I have just applied to be...

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Ultimatly, after a while, i may do a paper transfer
So easy to do & Hampshire would not have to train you!
Of course if you want to experience a whole different style of Police work, then try Here

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:
Of course if you want to experience a whole different style of Police work, then try Here
Hmmm - no offence, but I'd give that a miss Chris ;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

On the subject of free travel on production of a warrant card I can say no that's not true. Also, flashing warrant cards on personal business can bring about a whole load of hassle you don't need when you're not on duty. Trust me - I know someone who's been there and has been called upon to intervene in trouble that's erupted.

Good luck and very well done :)

Gabby xx

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have to beg to differ Gabs - it is definately true in some force areas, and certainly true in London.

I agree flashing a warrant card around to obtain these services makes you obliged to intervene if trouble occurs, which is why travel companies allow it, but then again you are obliged to act anyway as its part of your duty whether your on or off duty - you can be disciplined if you fail to act in some circumstances:thumb:

Reaction score
Ady - thats pretty much what i read.

Basically i think, if you dont ID yourself as a police officer (pay the fare) you dont *have* to let anyone know who you are and if its something you dont feel comfortable dealing with then you dont have to do it.

If you ID yourself as a copper, the person in charge can ask you to deal with it and you have to, pretty much.

I think thats the way it goes, right!?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thats pretty much it Chris - basically you are paying for the 'free' travel by putting yourself it a position of responsibility.

If you don't ID yourself and pay, then you could just sit there and do nothing, you have to risk assess your involvement with the nature of the offence - obviously the more serious the offence there is more obligation on you to act - and indeed a failure to act in some circumstances can be considered a deriliction of your public duty, which can lead to discipline or even a charge in extreme cases.

However there is no point in intervening if by doing so puts you or others at risk of serious harm, or is unlikely to help matters at that immediate time - in those circumstances you will need to take a more subtle appraoch - descretely calling for help, noting descriptions, obtaining witnesses, following until help arrives etc

It ain't all black and white :thumb:

Reaction score
Yeah thats what i was going to say aswell - you have to remember that you have no body armour or radio and wont be armed with gas or asp...

Using your warrant card to gain discounts or freebies is a big no-no so i understand, even if you are offered them.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Soliciting discounts/freebies is always a no-no, but properly authorised schemes such as free travel are OK :thumb:

.....oh and CS isn't a gas, its a spray ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just don't want you getting into trouble for using the incorrect phrase during your OST :D

Ask a Question