I have just applied to be...

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Going to the gym today to start my fitness reigeme. Need to do a bleep test (whatever that is)

You don't know what a bleep test is and you have just finished full time education and college...I thought they done this in P.E classes at schools all over the land for the last 10 years...Hmmmm

Good luck Chris go with a positive attitude and i'm sure you will do just fine...Plenty of good people out there and plenty a bad-uns as well...Be on your Guard..

Your bound to get the late shift more often than not so dealing with drunks and violence will become the norm for you....Sorry don't want to put you off mate, but I was a bar manager for 7 years so I have seen it all and then some...;)

Reaction score
There is no requirement for anyone to do sports at college... and you only do a bleep test if you do P.E at GCSE - at least thats the way it was for me...

I have been on 3 late shifts with the police - and its not just drunks and violence but making sure motorists are behaving and patrolling business premesis to check for break ins. But patrolling drunk people is fun :)

I bought the "Private Eye" magazine today its halarious!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Good luck to you Chris . Stay realy sharp around the drunks , they act in very unexpected ways .

:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Need to do a bleep test (whatever that is) and score 5.6 i think to pass, aswell as some resistance excersises
A bleep test is done between 2 markers about 20 yards apart, there are different levels to reach each one faster than the other - you have to reach the 6th run at level 5.

It starts off really slow - just faster than a walk and you have to touch the other mark at or before the bleep sounds, then you turn and return to the other line. After about 8 runs the next level starts which will be a bit faster, so you have to get to the other mark a bit quicker.

You are out if you fail to reach the mark 3 times in a row.

By level 5 you will be doing a fastish run, not far off a slow sprint :thumb:

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I have been on 3 late shifts with the police - and its not just drunks and violence but making sure motorists are behaving and patrolling business premesis to check for break ins. But patrolling drunk people is fun :)

I bought the "Private Eye" magazine today its halarious!

Firstly it's good your getting a taster, it's not all about blue's & two's, but having to deal with domestic violence, drunks & the odd complete idiot. But at least you realise this.

As for "Private Eye" it's an interesting read, they even do a slot on the Police, not sure if Knacker of the Yard is still in it, but Polly Filler & Glenda Slag are good reads.

Reaction score
:D Thanks guys

You can't call me officer just get - i have to go to Hitchingbrook park Cambs Constabulary Headquarters in Huntingdon on the 27th of January - it is only when i have passed the medical, interview and PIRT test that you can call me Officer Postill, Constable Chris etc etc. That is where the hard stuff is at - i need to get super fit and get some weight on and revise my maths, english and observation skills. Also need to research loads of stuff for the interview. If i pass that, i'll get my warrant card then start training :)

If i do pass the assessment day, there will be one hell of a party!!

Reaction score
Argh, the training will soon sort everything out Chris, lots of law to understand & of course PACE. Not sure you get your WC until you pass the 1st stage, may be different for other Forces.

Doing reasearch before the interview is a good thing, get to know who the senior officers are ie: CC, DCC & ACC's are in case they ask you. Oh and of course get a hair cut, but not to short and wear a decent suit & plain tie.

If you need advice we are all here to help:thumb:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Just to make you ultra nervous...
Someone over here recently suggested that the standards for physical fitness required of police trainees over here was perhaps just a little too high & ought to be brought more into line with the UK & the rest of the western world :lol: I had to pmsl as about 3 years ago one of John's boys was turned down from the police on grounds of physical fitness. He is a serious competitive athelete with significant wins all around the country (was supposed to run for NZ back when he was 18 but had to call off at the last min for family reasons :( ) & his own trainer & physio. Gets up at 4 or 5am every day to do his training before work. He was quite fit enough for both the NZ & UK army (although raised over here he was born in the UK). & is still a reserve in the NZ army, waiting to see if he gets called up if Fiji's latest coup gets out of hand.
But, apparently he was not fit enough to catch a drunk running down the street some saturday night. Go figure :rolleyes:
Seems to me that, perhaps it was about time someone noticed that maybe the requirements were perhaps a little steep :lol:

Don't worry Chris, you've got a tremendous amount of determination. I reckon you'll do just fine :nod:

Reaction score
Not good not good...

done my foot in - dont know how but went to the doctors and she reckoned there is a possibility of a stress fracture. that would suck - wouldnt be able to do the fitness test :(

I'll give it a week or two, get it xrayed, and see how we go.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
:(
When do you actually have to do the test?
Will you have much time to heal?

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
That's about 6 weeks away isn't it? If you can keep on working on the muscle tone without stressing the bone then you might be able to get through even with a fracture if it's minor. Will have to work on the muscle tone though. You can lose a lot in 6 weeks & won't have time to build it up again after. Talk to the Dr or a physio perhaps & see if there's any exercise routines they can prescribe that will avoid putting too much stress on the bone. I'm afraid it's not my area of speciality so I wouldn't know anything about it I'm afraid. maybe swimming if you're not in a cast? Or isometric exercises?

Whatever it takes, you've worked very hard to get this far, I know you won't give up easy. I'm betting on you ;)

Ask a Question