From: "dave" <>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 11:01 AM
Subject: html formatting

how can I cut and paste from word into an html editor without bringing all the formatting with it?
example: when I copy "Gardening"
this is what turns up when I paste
<FONT size=2><P><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman';
mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-US;
mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language:
AR-SA"> said:
I have a huge document that has been badly prepared using tabs to align
four columns of text. If I save as .txt I lose all the alignment and the
document makes no sense so I can't cut and paste it anyway
PLEASE HELP!!
dave

You CANNOT cut and paste directly from WORD into any html page, without
adding that bloat.

You can however cut and paste from Word to NotePad and then from NotePad to
html.
You however, do not retain any of the Word font, paragraph, tab or any other
Word settings.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain a happy medium where as your would be able to
retain the Word Doc formatting but remove the Word Bloat.

Word only USEFUL purpose in creating HTML pages is so that the original Word
document may be retrieved as a Word doc from the Word created html.
ALL of this is in the Word Help file.

BTW, the group; microsoft.public.word.web.authoring is more web page
oriented.

Bruce

I don't know enough about html to be much help there, but
I think I can help you to whip your document into shape.
If your source document is like others I have seen,
somebody typed a word at the left margin, then pressed tab
a few times, typed some more, etc. At the second line
they did the same, but some of the entries are longer or
shorter, so there are more or fewer tabs than in the first
line. Something like that? If so, you can use Replace
with wildcards to bring the beginnings of order. Edit >
Replace (or Ctrl + H), and check Use Wildcards. In Find
what, enter ^t{1,}. Replace with ^t, or with a comma, or
whatever you like. What you are doing with the first part
is to replace 1 or more instances of the tab (^t) with
whatever you choose. By the way, you can use Replace
(wildcards enabled) with ^13{1,} in Find what and ^p in
Replace to get rid of empty paragraphs. In this case ^13
is the way to find a paragraph mark in a wildcard search,
and ^p is the paragraph mark you will replace it with.
Don't try to understand the logic of using two different
codes to find a paragraph mark. Anyhow, you can copy it
into Notepad if you like, or you can work on it some more
in Word. Let's say you chose to replace with a comma.
Select the text, then click Table > Convert > Text to
table. Choose to separate with a comma. This also works
with tabs or other characters. Or you can copy to
Notepad, save as a .csv file, and open that file with
Excel. My point is that you can probably use wildcards in
a search to eliminate most of the rubble, after which you
will have a much easier time with your html editor ( and
everything else). One more thing that might help is that
you can select any or all of the text in a document, and
press Ctrl + Q, then Ctrl + Spacebar to remove any manual
paragraph and character formatting. Do this if the
current selection of italics, bold, etc. is not to your
liking.
SA"> said:
I have a huge document that has been badly prepared using
tabs to align four columns of text. If I save as .txt I
lose all the alignment and the document makes no sense so
I can't cut and paste it anyway

thnx bruce and lost in space that's very helpfu
I'm familiar with the search and replace method but hadn't got a grip on the wildcards
For anyone reading this thread with a similar problem, I also found that exporting to Works retains the format but loses the heavy Word formatting. I was left with a laborious but legible cut and paste job