HP92 refilled ink cartridge wont print

Reaction score
I recently refilled a HP92 inkjet cartridge. After doing so I would get a warning telling me that the ink level was low and asking me if I wanted to proceed. However this is only a warning and the printer should print anyway. So I've been disregarding this for a month now and haven't had any problems. However, last night I tried to print a page and it came out compleatly blank, no trace of black ink at all. I removed the cartridge refilled it and tested that it would flow out of the print head and replaced it. It still won't print black! I've tried printing a test page but nothing has worked. Anyone know what the problem could be? any help would be appreciated.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If the ink cartridge has a little chip on it, small square with several copper contacts, then this is telling the printer that the cartridge is empty. You will need to reprogram the chip. You will have to search for the remedy. I know this is possible for Epsom cartridges.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
You have to reset the counter.
As with a Canon printer it does it easily two clicks done.
Have a look at the HP site they will tell how to?

Reaction score
I should mention that my printer is a HP Photosmart C3180. As far as I am aware the cartridges do have a chip on them which tells the computer that they are empty. I have searched for a method of resetting the HP92/93 cartridges but to date haven't found anythin. As far as contacting HP is concerned I don't know why I didn't think of this :) I spoke to a guy at a refilling store today and he said that they refill that same cartridge and haven't had any issues. He said that it could be the quality of the ink that I put into the cartridge. Any way at this stage I'm still looking for a solution. Any body?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First off, try a refilled cartridge from one of those high street refilling shops are a new HP cartridge to verify the printer's ok.

If so, try filling the suspect cartridge with black ink again.

I have an HP Photosmart 7960 printer that takes the HP56 cartridge (black) HP57 (normal colour) and HP58 (photo colour). Just out of interest the guy in one of those refill shops told me there was absolutely no difference between HP57 & HP58, apart from the ID chip on the outside of the cartridge. The idea is that you spend lots of money with Hewlett Packard.

Having said that I had nothing but issues with refill cartridges, printing was somewhat problematic and frustrating. And the finished prints, particularly photos, were not of the same quality as those the bona fide HP cartridges produced.

So now I just use the HP carts but mostly I use my Samsung Laser colour printer, much more economical.

From what I've read the best make of printer for using refilled cartridges is Epson. Epson printers these days are of far better quality than they were, say, five years ago.

Good luck :)

Ask a Question