HP Total Care for iexplore memory problem-dilema

Reaction score
Hi,
This is rather a sub-thread. I posted earlier a problem I was having regarding an iexplore.app error message re memory when I close my browser. I took the advice of a kind soul who suggested I use the PC doctor. I found the HP Total Care option and chatted on-line with the first person. Her advice was the following:

1. Click Start, and then click Search.
2. Click All Files and Folders.
3. Click More advanced Options and select Search Hidden Files and
Subfolders.
4. Type the following into the All or part of the filename field:
ie.inf
5. Click the Search button. The file ie.inf appears in the right
window under the folder C:\Windows\inf.
6. Right-click ie.inf and select Install.
7. If a window opens asking for a file location, type the following
into the Copy files from field: C:\Windows\i386
8. After the files are copied, restart the computer.
NOTE: If the steps above do not work, click Start, Run, and type
the following into the open field: rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf
Click OK to start the Installer.

Now, everything went fine until step 7. A window did indeed open to type in the path (there was already a path address which I believe was C: Windows\info\i386) , but which stated: "The file IExplore.exe on Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed". So I put that in, but got no further instructions. However, I did note that it looked like it was trying to copy the files but was frozen. So I was stuck and called again.

The second person said that I had to unstall and then reinstall Explorer from a website and do this off-line (I am unsure how to do this off-line exactly but could probably figure it out). However, from what I can gather from browsing this site and the web, it seems to me that the problem is where HP caches the memory and I don't want to disinstall and then re-install Explorer unless absolutely necessary because I do not know how to save my settings and my favorites so I can set them all up again (although I can probably figure that out too...eventually).

Again, I have an HP notebook series ZX5000. The OP is XP 2 pack. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated for this small but annoying problem.
Kindest regards,
Linda

Last edited:

Ask a Question