HP psc 2210 xi - having to reinstall every few days - why?

Reaction score
Hello:
every few days i have to reinstall the software for the printer, because it will come up an error.
printer is HP psc 2210 xi.
i use windows xp
sometimes it errors when trying to print a color copy, or an internet page, sometimes a document.
i've called HP numerous times, and i have done all they've suggested.
i've downloaded the HP software install for it too, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
now i can't even install off the old CD because i guess HP has changed the drivers or something with the new downloaded software install.
i have wiped out - blanked out - and reinstalled windows XP after deleting all stuff off the computer (forget what that term is called).
have updated windows XP.
the printer and my computer are both about 3 years old. this problem started up about 6 months ago.
i've bot a new USB cable, too.
I've gone to control panel.....admin.....services.....printer spooler off then on.
tried different usb ports.
have removed all virus-detecting programs during install.
done all the unplugging and turning the computer on and off so many times i can do it with my eyes closed.

ANY IDEAS??? DO I NEED A NEW PRINTER????????

It's windows XP.
the error is a little red question mark on the tiny icon by the time in the bottom right hand corner,
saying the document failed to print.
sometimes it takes a couple minutes before the red question mark comes up, saying the doc failed to print.
i can't print a test page or diagnostic page after the error occurs.
when it's working ok, of course the print page prints and there's no diagnostic problems.
i don't know how to access more info about the errors.
i've downloaded everything windows xp has that's recommended:
HP All-in-One Check detected the following:
Connected All-in-One: HP PSC 2210/ 2210v/ 2210xi
Operating System: WindowsXP
Connection Port: USB
Results: You are using the latest driver!
A check of your driver settings shows no problems.
and the above test was when it won't print anything.
I've also gone thru the troubleshooting diagnostics a dozen times, all to no avail.

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What sort of Error is it displaying is it numbers or windows based Errors..give us more info on the sort of Error and we may be able to help you....;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You confused me in your first paragraph ... Windows XP 2000 :confused:

Xp is XP ... Win2000 is Windows 2000.

Are you sure you are using the correct drivers for XP

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Windows XP may create dummy parallel ports (for example, LPT2 and LPT3) on some computers, in addition to the already existing LPT1 port, and then Windows XP reassigns port names so that the valid port (LPT1) becomes LPT3. Any printer still connected to LPT1 under these circumstances will not print.

This is one suggestion......

Reaction score
Hi Crazylegs: so would windon't , i mean windows, just randomly assign these new ports every few days on it's own?
i don't do anything weird at all, and the errors occur.

Reaction score
Here is another suggestion Start= run= type MSCONFIG in services see if SPOOLER is running?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Windows XP may create dummy parallel ports (for example, LPT2 and LPT3) on some computers, in addition to the already existing LPT1 port, and then Windows XP reassigns port names so that the valid port (LPT1) becomes LPT3. Any printer still connected to LPT1 under these circumstances will not print.

This is one suggestion......
We are talking USB printer here ... and the way HP assigns the printer to the port is 'slap happy' event to say the least. There should be no 'ghost' LPT ports. ;)

Uninstalling the HP drivers is an 'expert' procedure, but a decent reg-cleaner, like EasyCleaner, can help after the drivers have been un-installed.

;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Right Zinger

Your particular problem is one that has been ongoing for over a year in some cases and HP do not have a solution to this particular problem at the moment..

There are lots of people in the same boat as you with HP printers and they are all suffering from the same problems it seems to be a Windows XP problem as it is not been noticed on other versions of windows...

The problem does not always appear and we've been unable to find a pattern when it does occur....Which is what most people report...:(

Unfortunately i can't give you a solution at the mo but keep checking the HP website as they are working on a fix for this....

Hope its not too long....;)

Also what Muck's says about drivers could be a possible solution but i wouldn't bet on it...;)

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ok Zinger

I have been all over the net and even joined other forums to get you this fix..So i hope you realize just how much time and effort went into getting your problem sorted....So hopefully this will sort it....:D

In answer from

As you are able to print a diagnosis page, then there is no problem with the Hardware part of the printer.

The problem should lie with the software or the communication.If you are able to scan, indicates that there is communication and let me know about it.

This error message may occur if the print queue is full or if there is a problem with the print spooler service.

Follow these steps to troubleshoot :
1. Disconnect the USB cord from the back of the computer.
2.Click star, run, key in cmd and hit enter.
3.In the command prompt, type "net stop spooler", without the quotes and hit enter.You will get a message -> Spooler service sucessfully stopped.
Again the in the command prompt type net start spooler and hit enter.You will get this message -> spooler service sucessfully started.
4.Close the command prompt and go to control panel, printers and faxes, double click on the printer icon and look for any print job's in here.If there are any, right click on them and select delete.
5.Connect the USB cord to the computer and take a test print.

Also check if you are selecting the proper printer while printing.

Let us know if the problem reoccurs dude...Best of luck...;)

Reaction score
Poster's Reply

THANKS! everyone for your ideas.
I finally remembered i purchased an extended warrantee, and called it, they had me do this or that, coming to the conclusion that the printer is bad. they are sending me a replacement which i should receive in a few days. wish i had called them months and months ago!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi new to the forum can you tell me where and how to post messages, as i need some help with a printer problem.

Ask a Question