HP Printer is switching itself on

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
... And no, it is not looking at naughty pictures ;)

We have two printers set up to work with our XP and Vista PCs (it was meant to be a temporary arrangement, but has kind of continued.)

Anyway, the oldest, HP Deskjet 840c, is still going strong after 8 years, so I haven't had the heart to "retire" it... but, it is now beginning to switch itself on, with no input from me. As some of you might know, this model has to be switched on or off, using the manual button on the front.

On a few occasions, recently, I have seen it switch on of its own accord, so I'm feeling a tad concerned about the safety aspects. Could something be "shorting" or whatever?

The printer is connected via a USB cable (to the Vista PC) and it's plugged into a surge protection block.

Thank you for looking :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this printer, so I don't know if this is unusual - but if you have to use a manual button (one that sounds mechanical, and usually gives a fair click) then it doesn't sound too good! However, my old cannon would turn itself on whenever the PC did, but that just had a small power button that really put it in to a standby mode rather than a physical off.

If you disconnect the USB cable does the printer still do that?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have to admit Ian, I didn't think of unplugging the USB, (duh!) but will do that now and see what happens. It sometimes takes it an hour or two to switch on after it has been switched off, so I will let you know what happens.

Thank you for the reply :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion ...

Leave the printer off, but plugged in via USB, then go print a document ... if Ian is correct, and I suspect he is, then the printer will turn itself on. ;)

If that happens, then you have a recently installed hardware/software interfering with the print mechanism of the OS. :wave:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Crikey! You are absolutely right Mucks :eek: I have just tried that suggestion and the printer sprang into life! It has never done that in the past.

Er... is there any way I could eliminate what might be causing this new behaviour do you think? (Previously, I have only been browsing the forum when it has switched on, not trying to print anything.)

Thank you - at least it's nice to know that it isn't an electrical-type "fault."

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, nope, sorry, ain't got a clue ... :p

Have a look at what is being "loaded" via msconfig ... (if using vista) go to start button, type in msconfig, press enter ... see what is being loaded to run on startup.

It's amazing how many "programs" need to load everything you don't need at startup. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I used to have an 840C but mine died years ago :( It was a good printer.

The front button isn't mechanical, it's a soft touch button, I'd imagine it's a momentary switch just like the one that turns all modern computers on.

If I sent a document to the printer to be printed it would wake up and print as I remember, then stay on. Much the same as my HP Photosmart 7960 does now.

If it doesn't turn itself on when the USB lead is disconnected, I wouldn't worry about it.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
No - didn't really think it would be that easy ;) It's probably one of several new bits of software I've downloaded recently, so I shall have to get my deerstalker and pipe :D

I'm just glad I'm not going dotty - so many times recently, I have switched off the printer at night, only to find its little green lamp glowing the next morning. Thought I was losing it
:lol:

Thanks for your help Mucks and Ian, it was appreciated :thumb: :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I used to have an 840C but mine died years ago :( It was a good printer.

The front button isn't mechanical, it's a soft touch button, I'd imagine it's a momentary switch just like the one that turns all modern computers on.

If I sent a document to the printer to be printed it would wake up and print as I remember, then stay on. Much the same as my HP Photosmart 7960 does now.

If it doesn't turn itself on when the USB lead is disconnected, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry Flopps, I was typing as you posted. This printer has always waited for me to poke the button - how many times I have waited patiently for it to begin printing, only to realize I'd forgotten to switch it on, lol.

I've really been surprised at how long it has lasted, because it has received a heck of a lot of use over the years. Each time I think it might be dying or developing a fault - it turns out to be okay and lives on.
:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Update

Oh rats! I unplugged the USB before going to bed last night, the printer was switched off... this morning, it is ON again.

I guess this means that it is something "electrical" after all?

muckshifter

Reaction score
With no real off/on switch, it's always been on ... ;)

Gremlins. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Morning Mucks :)

Thing is, over its 8 yr life, whenever I switched it off - using front off/on button - it really used to be as dead as the proverbial "late parrot." Not a peep or a "pretty Polly" if I attempted to print without first manually switching on. That was with XP and for the past couple of years with Vista. So that's why I'm fussing a bit, 'cause I'm wondering whether the electrics could have gone askew somehow :eek:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I can assure you, it's always had power to it, and, on, green light or not ... Yep, prolly on its way out, shame ...

You could keep using it, us "men" would and just make sure house insurance is covered for fire, maybe up the payout on the insurance, or transfer the printer to a fireproof room. :p

You using a 3amp fuse, innu?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Gawd Mucks - you certainly know how to instill a sense of confidence in a person :lol:

However, yes, I'm careful about fuses, it is protected by a 3 Amp fuse -and surge thingy too (although I don't suppose that is relevant in this instance.)

Just renewed insurance too...but, I don't think I'll risk us getting BBQ'd so looks like I will have to "retire" it after all:(

I will say one thing about HP printers, they are wonderful workhorses :nod:

Reaction score
jh20 said:
you could always switch it off at the wall when not using :)

I agree! - if your surge protector is one of these big bank thingies then it probably has a switch - switch it off every night and save the planet (and some money towards a new printer). I also second your comments about HP printers they are very robust (although the ink could be cheaper)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, switching off is the route I've taken - well un-plugging it too, to be precise. :thumb:

Ask a Question