hp laserjet 4L - win xp problem

zirath

I'm having this same problem but it happens when I boot the computer. Not
sure how to get to the printer driver or how to edit it.

From:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1933735.php

(e-mail address removed) (richard) wrote in message
When my system (WinXP SP1) awakes from hybernation, my LaserJet 4L
spontaneously prints one page with two lines on top:

X@PJL
@PJL USTATUS TIMED 30

Any ideas how to avoid this?

Just a guess here:
Looking at a PJL manual, at
<http://www.brother.de/download\files\dokumente\guides_pjl.pdf>
See p 40 on, and particularly p56.

What the PC is doing is requesting the printer to report its status
every 30 seconds. However, apparently the beginning of the command
string is omitted, because either the printer or PC is not fully awake
when it's sent.

It should send :
<ESC>%-12345X@PJL <CR><LF>
@PJL USTATUS TIMED = 30 <CR><LF>
<ESC>%-12345X

So it's not getting the code before the "X" and just prints the
command until it gets the second ESC which puts it back in command
mode.

Possible fixes:
Look at the printer driver settings to see if there are any timing
settings you might change. If all else fails, try some other drivers
-- there should be several compatible ones. The status report is a
dispensible feature if the printer is on your desk anyway, it's really
meant for remote printers..

zirath

Tony said:
The laserjet 4L driver is built into Windows XP.
I would remove the printer and re-install it. Power the printer off.
Open the printers folder, delete the printer. Still in the windows folder
click
on File/Server Properties/Drivers. If a driver is listed for the 4L,
highlight
it and click Remove.
Reboot, power the printer on. If Windows detects the printer then let it
install it. Otherwise go to Add Printer in the printer folder, select
local
printer, uncheck "Automatically detect.....",
click next, choose LPT1, click next, choose HP in the left list and
Laserjet 4L
in the right list, click next and follow the instructions.

I've tried reinstalling the driver numerous times with numerous variations.
It seems that hp didn't make a driver for this printer specifically for
windows xp. They have a driver for post script printers that comes up for
win xp but it doesn't function properly. Right now I'm using a win NT
driver. I tried variations of ECP and EPP and bi-directional (the only one
that functions). I even tried to use a win 98 driver.

It seems the driver has to be edited to eliminate the computer from checking
the status.

Allodoxaphobia

I've tried reinstalling the driver numerous times with numerous variations.
It seems that hp didn't make a driver for this printer specifically for
windows xp. They have a driver for post script printers that comes up for
win xp but it doesn't function properly. Right now I'm using a win NT
driver. I tried variations of ECP and EPP and bi-directional (the only one
that functions). I even tried to use a win 98 driver.

It seems the driver has to be edited to eliminate the computer from checking
the status.

Install it as an HP LJ III. Same PCL protocol and you don't have the
'status' complexity/confusion. It's either ON, or it's OFF.

Jonesy

zirath

Allodoxaphobia said:
Install it as an HP LJ III. Same PCL protocol and you don't have the
'status' complexity/confusion. It's either ON, or it's OFF.

Jonesy

Thanks - that solved it.