HP laptops have been logging keystrokes since 2015

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It has been revealed that HP laptops may have been logging all user keystrokes since December 2015, according to security firm Modzero.

The security company found that HP had released an update for the audio drivers in its laptops which can detect if a specific key have been pressed as part of a debugging and diagnostic function.

However, Modzero found that the debugger, developed by audio chip manufacturer Conexant, collects all the keystrokes and either records them in a log file in a public folder on the laptop or displays them through a debugging interface.

“This type of debugging turns the audio driver effectively into a keylogging spyware.

The logged keystrokes are not sent to an external source, but represent a potential security flaw which could be taken advantage of. Read more at Silicon

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Saw this on Reddit earlier from a different source.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/05/11/hp-is-shipping-audio-drivers-with-a-built-in-keylogger/

One piece of info I didn't see mentioned in the article above:

"Fortunately, this logfile is wiped every time you logout of your system, but as ModZero points out, if you’ve got any kind of incremental backup system in place, you could effectively be creating a permanent record of everything you type, every day."

Its pretty bad either way though tbh. I'll have to see if I know anyone with a HP device...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This was either intentional, or incredibly clumsy... neither of which is acceptable. This is the exact sort of thing that ICO / EU equivilent should be clamping down on and slapping companies with huge fines... that may stop them.

Ask a Question