HP all-in-one printers: any good?

Reaction score
I was looking to buy an all-in-one for my new laptop. The computer store of my university offers HP printers only it seems. 2 machines I had in mind are HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-one HPQ8330B and HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-one HPQ8160B. Does anyone have experience with these machines or HP in general? Would it be better to buy something else? what do I have to look out for? Itsnot that Im picky I just dont wanna be stuck with junk.

Thx!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Neurotrash - I have always used HP, first a Deskjet 840c (about 7 yrs old but still going strong) and now an HP Photosmart 2575 all-in-one, which I am extremely happy with.

Its text and photo print quality are both really good and also very quick, compared to my "oldie." It uses HP's Vivera inks which are very clear and give accurate results. You can either use a tri-colour plus black cartridge, or the tri-colour with a photo cartridge, which they say improves the quality of the printed photo even more.

The 2575 has quite a neat "footprint" and is not so bulky as some all-in-ones and it is also very easy to use. It has a built-in card reader which will take a range of cards, including CF, SD, XD, MS plus a USB port for connecting your camera.

There is a little display screen 2" x 2" which is very easy to read when you navigate menus, etc.

I've had this machine for just over a year now and still feel awfully pleased with it :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know about the two models mentioned in the first post but I've always favoured HP printers for inkjet models.

I've had printers from Canon, Epson and HP and in my experience HP have been the best.

I do think that a person's experience with a particular model will colour their judgement though and all manufacturer's produce a turkey now and then ;)

I have an HP Photosmart 7960 atm, over two years old and I'm pleased with it :) Only negative thing I can say is that it doesn't like cheapo substitute ink cartridges, only HP cartridges produce good results.

Also have a Brother HL2030 mono laser printer as well which is rather superb and very economical :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Only negative thing I can say is that it doesn't like cheapo substitute ink cartridges, only HP cartridges produce good results.

I would agree with that :thumb: in fact, I popped back intending to edit my post to that effect ;)

Reaction score
HP ink cartridges seem to go until they are empty & then you replace them.
My Epson DX4800 comes up with the cartridge needing to be changed at 10% left, i carry on get reminded about it and will replace when no ink is left at all!

I only bought from Epson as the All-In-One was on offer & £150 cheaper than the same HP.

Reaction score
I favour HP. I had an HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one. It was very slow and unreliable. I replaced it with an HP LaserJet 3055 which runs over our home network. It's excellent for B&W print, scan, fax and copy.
I also have an HP LaserJet 3700n colour laser printer, also excellent. I'd buy HP again.
Avoid Minolta laser printers. They are a nightmare in my experience.

Ask a Question