Need a New Printer

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
One word at the moment

EPSON..:thumb:

Manufacturing some fantastic printers and the inks are superb quality, you also get to replace each colour cartridge individually so saving cash on cartridges too..

Had my DX5050 for over a year now and its faultless, far better than all my HP's put together and I've had a few I can tell ya..:nod:

Reaction score
Yeah I own a All-in-One epson rx500 . Unfortuantely the heads are knackered but i hardly do any printing anyway so use it for scanning and other stuff

Cracking when i got it though

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah another vote for Epson mate, I got an Epson DX4000 2 years ago and its been a fab printer never let me down, that also uses separate cartridges as well. That printer you linked to looks fine.

Regards,

Wiz

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have the canon IP4500, widly regarded as a very very good printer, its very economical too.

All the photo geeks say it puts printers 3 and 4 times the price to shame. :D

Oh and no over bloated drivers either which i like. ;)

Check out some of the reviews mate. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I got a friend the DX7450 last year and it is fab. My CX 5400 is 4 years old and is still going strong and gives great results. Epsom's own brand inks give great results for photos. You can use other brand inks but sometimes the printer will not see the cartridge, I have paid as little as 75p for cartridges. Other inks can dry out and block heads if you do not print regularly. I used this to get mine working again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260323595082

happywave.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay cheers guys,

I had it down to that or a Canon Pixma, but the equiv Canon is £15 more and my mate can get me one the Epson one through his work VAT free so i'm gonna go with that one i think.

Anyone got any ideas on the best cartridges??? Is it best to use the Epson ones?

Also best place to get em,

Thanks again the help is most appreciated.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I must admit I'm a Canon Pixma fan - best printer I've ever had :)

Reaction score
I have an HP Photosmart meself which is a couple of years old now.

Its compact and it does the job though, no complaints.

Only thing after a few years the refilled ink I was using clogged up the heads fair bit, but I managed to clear them well enough.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also have an HP Photosmart, a 7960, had it about three years now I think, got it half price in a sale somewhere, and I'm very happy with it. It prints good quality papers and photos. I wouldn't call it economical though, I'd assess it as 'average' in it's economical use of ink.

Incidentally the best manufacturer for supporting Linux is HP, it has drivers for almost all of it's printers sold over the last five years and even some older ones. Canon are the worst for supporting Linux.

Of which I'm sure none of that will bother Wayne ;)

The next inkjet I buy will be an Epson, probably, and that decision is based on reading around.

Reaction score
Just by-the-by, I had an Epson C82 (I think? Printer names eh?
wallbash.gif
) and it was the single most expensive mistake of my life.

If you used thrid party cartridges it would have a fit about it and then the heads would clog up.

If you used the official cartridges, you were looking at £30 for the black cartridge, then £20 a piece for the 3 individual colours.

In other words, a £90 refill.

Suffice to say that went on ebay sharpish.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Just by-the-by, I had an Epson C82 (I think? Printer names eh?
wallbash.gif
) and it was the single most expensive mistake of my life.

If you used thrid party cartridges it would have a fit about it and then the heads would clog up.

If you used the official cartridges, you were looking at £30 for the black cartridge, then £20 a piece for the 3 individual colours.

In other words, a £90 refill.

Suffice to say that went on ebay sharpish.

How long ago was that?

I ask because it's only in the last couple of years or so that Epson seem to have forged ahead in the printer quality stakes.

I bought an Epson around eight years ago - mostly because it was recommended by a magazine - and it was awful. It felt cheap, plasticky, lightweight and printed terrible text and photos. It was dire. Ugly too.

So I took it back to PC World and exchanged it for an HP printer. And have stuck with HP inkjet printers ever since. But I'm not blind to what's happening in most markets and Epson atm seem good.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for all the input.

I have gone with a Canon Pixma MP460 as my mate has got me a new catalogue return for £10. Plus the carts work out about £6 cheaper each time.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
How long ago was that?

I ask because it's only in the last couple of years or so that Epson seem to have forged ahead in the printer quality stakes.

I bought an Epson around eight years ago - mostly because it was recommended by a magazine - and it was awful. It felt cheap, plasticky, lightweight and printed terrible text and photos. It was dire. Ugly too.

So I took it back to PC World and exchanged it for an HP printer. And have stuck with HP inkjet printers ever since. But I'm not blind to what's happening in most markets and Epson atm seem good.

This would have been a good four years ago now.

I had an Epson a couple of years before that actually, a Stylus 740 or something along those lines. It had a transparent green case, and I only bought it because it matched me transparent green iMac...:D (I'm a loser)

That was a rubbish printer in every way. I would imagine it was a about the same time as your one because it was second hand anyway, so was probably a year old already.

Ask a Question