Need help with Multifunction Printer Choice

Lola MacLean

My son is looking for an all in one printer with wireless connection. He has
asked me about the Photosmart C4380, and I can find little comment and no
reviews on it. Our local Office Depot salesman told him he could print CDs
with it but we live in California and I was under the impression that Epson
had the only license for that in the US. He won't print on a daily basis so
I felt Epson might not be his best choice.

I found reviews on the Photosmart C4200 series and they indicated those are
entry level printers and not great ones, at that. Can't determine from HP's
Web Site if the 4300 series is just newer than 4200--or, a step up in
quality. He'll print more text than anything else, but would like to print
the odd graphic, photo or Web page. He said he doesn't need highest quality
photo printing.

He's open to Canon if he can find one that's comparable and has wireless
support.

Thanks!
Lola MacLean

Chuck

Personally, I do not recommend multifunction printers, although I have owned
and used several, including medium volume HP printers intended for office
use.

It seems that historically, software driver support for the functions other
than basic printing is abandoned after one or two major windows versions are
released. The basic printing functions generally are supported for about
twice the time frame that the other multifunction drivers have support.

Often, a failure that is really confined to one function kills the other
functions. Seems that the internal self testing fails on one function, and
shuts the whole unit down. (Will not scan or originate a fax when one ink
color tank is empty., for instance)
Will not print because the scanner bulb is burnt out is another one.)

I have noticed that printers other than Epson have CD printing capability,
and are for sale in the US.

AnthonyL

[...]

I've just installed a Canon Pixma MP600R. It is early days and I
haven't used it a lot but the wireless works fine (for printing not
scanning). Thus far I am pleased with it. It has CDLabel print.

measekite

Two things here.

What is known as an All in One is not a good choice UNLESS:

You need an ASF (Auto Sheet Feeder) since a separate scanner with an ASF is too costly.

You have a definite space requirement

BECAUSE

You do not get the best of breed.  In this case the best is an Epson scanner and a Canon printer.

And when one goes south (usually the printer) you are stuck with a PFAIO (partially function all in one)

Buying separates you can get just the number of features you want on a scanner and just the type of printer.

One scanner to look at is the Epson V700.  A good printer is the Canon IP4500.  Be sure to use only OEM ink so you do not ruin the printer and get the best results.  If you do not care at all about photos then I would look at HP printers with an integrated printhead in the cart.

AS FOR WIRELESS

It is nice but it is god awful slow.  That is the big disadvantage.  I have computers on a network and one of the computer writes to a shared printer over a wireless network.  It works fine but it is slow.  Now if you print a few letters and a bunch of two or three page documents then it is OK.  If you go that way you should make sure that the wireless card in the AIO is upgradeable.  Otherwise you are stuck without ever being able to increase the speed.  Like when the N standard is approved.

Chuck wrote:

Personally, I do not recommend multifunction printers, although I have owned and used several, including medium volume HP printers intended for office use.

I agree

It seems that historically, software driver support for the functions other than basic printing is abandoned after one or two major windows versions are released. The basic printing functions generally are supported for about twice the time frame that the other multifunction drivers have support. Often, a failure that is really confined to one function kills the other functions.

Absolutely

Seems that the internal self testing fails on one function, and shuts the whole unit down. (Will not scan or originate a fax when one ink color tank is empty., for instance) Will not print because the scanner bulb is burnt out is another one.) I have noticed that printers other than Epson have CD printing capability, and are for sale in the US. "Lola MacLean" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

[...]

Thanks for your input! My son is aware of the downside of multifunction
devices, but space is the reason for needing one in this case. (I have never
favored multifunction either.) He had asked me what I could find out about
that specific printer (HP Photosmart C4380) and I find little mention of it
anywhere I look. What I've read about the 4200 series wasn't very good and I
don't know whether the 4380 is just newer, a tad better--or what. Also,
don't know whether Canon might have a better choice in same general class of
printer.
Lola

measekite

There are two Canon MFPs.  One is the MP830.  See canonusa.com.  I believe this had the ASF and appears to be a good all around printer combo.  I also think this has a fax.

The printer technology is like the IP43/4500.  Be sure to only use OEM ink for best results.  This printer will print photos better than HP and comes with a full set of carts unlike the HP.

In favor of the HP; if they still make an integrated cart with printhead is it may last longer since you get a new head with each ink change but the replacement cost is more than Canon.  Canon also has individual ink cart so you do not waste any ink.

Lola MacLean wrote:

Thanks for your input! My son is aware of the downside of multifunction devices, but space is the reason for needing one in this case. (I have never favored multifunction either.) He had asked me what I could find out about that specific printer (HP Photosmart C4380) and I find little mention of it anywhere I look. What I've read about the 4200 series wasn't very good and I don't know whether the 4380 is just newer, a tad better--or what. Also, don't know whether Canon might have a better choice in same general class of printer. Lola

DanG

Lola MacLean said:
Thanks for your input! My son is aware of the downside of multifunction
devices, but space is the reason for needing one in this case. (I have
never
favored multifunction either.) He had asked me what I could find out about
that specific printer (HP Photosmart C4380) and I find little mention of
it
anywhere I look. What I've read about the 4200 series wasn't very good and
don't know whether the 4380 is just newer, a tad better--or what. Also,
don't know whether Canon might have a better choice in same general class
of
printer.
Lola

The Canon MP610 (newest model) is a very fine printer. The scanner is
adequate for average users. The USA model needs to be modified for CD/DVD
printing, but this is not difficult. I have an MP600 that is doing fine in
all respects. The 610 should have a slightly newer print head, but the 600
might also be has on a clearance sale for a lot less. If you have to have
wireless, the 610 is set up for infrared and Bluetooth, but I'm not positive
it can print that way from a PC.

I'd suggest you give HP products a wide berth. The hardware is average, (at
best), and the software, drivers and tech support are truly dismal.

measekite

DanG wrote:

"Lola MacLean" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Thanks for your input! My son is aware of the downside of multifunction devices, but space is the reason for needing one in this case. (I have never favored multifunction either.) He had asked me what I could find out about that specific printer (HP Photosmart C4380) and I find little mention of it anywhere I look. What I've read about the 4200 series wasn't very good and I don't know whether the 4380 is just newer, a tad better--or what. Also, don't know whether Canon might have a better choice in same general class of printer. Lola

The Canon MP610 (newest model) is a very fine printer. The scanner is adequate for average users. The USA model needs to be modified for CD/DVD printing,

No it does not.  If you need that feature that Canon does not offer on the USA models then here are the two best choices:

Buy the Canadian version but you will pay more.

Best is to buy an Epson.  The printer is almost as good but the scanner is most likely better.