How to undo partition delete?

Mike

i was having a problem with one of my HDDs. I made the
problem drive a slave drive instead, put in a new master
HDD, and loaded XP on it. was going to use the new drive
to get data off the old one so i could reformat/reload
it. I tried to access the old drive to remove files off
of it, and XP wouldn't recognize it. I started messing
around with diskpart, trying to make it "see" the old
drive, and accidentally cleaned the drive partition
information off. Now, it thinks there's nothing on this
drive!

Is there a way for me to "undo" this clean??? I tried
using a few different file recovery software packages,
but none seem to be able to properly recover the data.
They see the files, just can't read them. Please help!!!!
I need my data back!!!

Cari MS-MVP

At this stage, after you've tried some of the free applications on the net,
the only thing I can really suggest is a professional data recovery company
who may or may not be able to retrieve the data. They are expensive....
last quote I received was $1500 for an 8.4gb drive... and it's all or
nothing, you cannot specify that your ONLY need the Word documents and
Picture files for example.

If your data is that important, then go for it.

If you decide that it's not, you'll remember next time that there's no time
like the present to do backups.... and do them often. Once bitten, twice
shy. I probably backup far too often.... but I'm now paranoid!

If it's just too expensive, just get out that box of Kleenex and sob for a
while. Then pull yourself together and remember that you're still alive,
the PC is still working and life goes on. And you'll never forget to backup
those important files again.

Cari
www.coribright.com

Robert Green

Mike said:
i was having a problem with one of my HDDs. I made the
problem drive a slave drive instead, put in a new master
HDD, and loaded XP on it. was going to use the new drive
to get data off the old one so i could reformat/reload
it. I tried to access the old drive to remove files off
of it, and XP wouldn't recognize it. I started messing
around with diskpart, trying to make it "see" the old
drive, and accidentally cleaned the drive partition
information off. Now, it thinks there's nothing on this
drive!

Is there a way for me to "undo" this clean??? I tried
using a few different file recovery software packages,
but none seem to be able to properly recover the data.
They see the files, just can't read them. Please help!!!!
I need my data back!!!

If all you did was remove the partition from the MBR partition table,
you should be able to restore it with BootMaster (freeware), available
at the site in my sig.

Bob

Robert Green
BootMaster Partition Recovery
http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz
bob[dot]green[at]filerecovery[dot]biz

Mike

Bob:

I appreciate the software tip, but unfortunately, when I
tried to boot from the disk it made, it says bad/invalid
command interpreter, and it asks for a location of
command.com. What do I do?

Thanks again.

Mike

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

.

Jim Macklin

You have to put the recovery program on a bootable disk.

| Bob:
|
| I appreciate the software tip, but unfortunately, when I
| tried to boot from the disk it made, it says bad/invalid
| command interpreter, and it asks for a location of
| command.com. What do I do?
|
| Thanks again.
|
| Mike

Robert Green

Mike said:
Bob:

I appreciate the software tip, but unfortunately, when I
tried to boot from the disk it made, it says bad/invalid
command interpreter, and it asks for a location of
command.com. What do I do?

Download the image file again and re-create the boot disk using a
different floppy disk. (I just tested the image files and they are
fine.)

Bob

Robert Green
BootMaster Partition Recovery
http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz
bob[dot]green[at]filerecovery[dot]biz

Joined
Aug 13, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello, I know this thread is old...but a solution might still help those in trouble. I wanted to do a boot disk and so i used DiskPart. I typed:
select disk 0
clean

It said it cannot clean the partition with the main boot ...fortunately for me. But it did clean my D: partition on the same drive.
What i wanted to do is use these commands on a memory stick but instead used it on my main HDD.

If you didn't get to the formatting part and just used the CLEAN command, all you need to do is :

Right click on my computer and click Manage to go to Computer Management, or from Control Panel go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Computer Management".

From there select DISK management. You will see the partition(s) that where cleaned. and see that they don't have a letter assigned to them.

Right click on the partition(s), select Change Drive letter and paths and select the letter that used to be on that partition.

That is all folks.