Windows XP How to set up a web site?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Ev :) If you read the post just above your last one, youi'll note I do have a version of Dreamweaver. And Fireworks. Version 4.0.

I didn't have to sell my soul either, I just smiled nicely at the dirt mover :D

Actually, I'm just about to start on this, for the last couple of weeks I've been scanning lots of old 35mm film negatives, found stuff I didn't even realise was there.

I'm told the Dreamweaver tutorial actually runs to about three hours, gonna have to put a little time aside.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
'bout time

I'm told the Dreamweaver tutorial actually runs to about three hours, gonna have to put a little time aside.
Yeah, like a weekend should do it. :brow:

No, no I'm not implying your thick, but you get carried away with things and have to start again. :D

Have fun. ;)

Reaction score
Dreamweaver gets my vote too.

When shopping for hosting, take a look at Brinkster because they offer FREE hosting that is also compatible with ASP and Access databases. So, should you decide that you need to start developing a dynamic website - then this is definitely one to look at. No ads, popups or banners either! :spin:

Anyone know of any Linux/PHP/MySQL based free hosting for those that prefer the open source route?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm OK for hosting. I have 50Mb with my current ISP (Zen) and several hundred megabytes with another forum.

Sorry, don't know answer to Linux hosting stuff :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Originally posted by kish
Dreamweaver gets my vote too.

When shopping for hosting, take a look at Brinkster because they offer FREE hosting that is also compatible with ASP and Access databases. So, should you decide that you need to start developing a dynamic website - then this is definitely one to look at. No ads, popups or banners either! :spin:

Anyone know of any Linux/PHP/MySQL based free hosting for those that prefer the open source route?

I can think of two off the top of my head, never tried either of them though:

http://www.broadiecarpark.com/modules/xoopshosting/

and

http://hosting.free2code.net/

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Dam ... I have a better Idea, I can host it myself and give you full access. You will still have to design your site though.

PM me if your interested.
please tell me how to set up a website but you will have to tell me step by step as i am not very computer literate thanks

Reaction score
that would take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages :)

Reaction score
sherah said:
please tell me how to set up a website but you will have to tell me step by step as i am not very computer literate thanks
Up to a tutorial,Muck's?

Make a nice addition to PCR :)

Flopp's,I can't seem to find that LINK,to Your new site....???

I use HTML kit to do My Own Junk.

Google HTML KIT ;)

Reaction score

If you are a complete beginner, you can go with an ISP like PlusNet, who offer a free wodge of web space. They also have some wizards which you can use to make a basic website without HTML, Dreamweaver, Fireworks or FrontPage and without needing to know what an FTP program does. Naturally, this approach has its limitations, but you'll be able to improve your computer literacy with the time you save!:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good grief, I started this thread, what? 26 months ago and I still ain't done diddly squat...

That is, perhaps, taking laziness to something of an extreme :D

Soon, soon.... ;)

Reaction score
Good grief,man! I'm surprised someone hasn't already done it for you! Whatever happened to comradeship?

Reaction score
Dont know how much you know now but I started to teach myself HTML from a few sites not so long ago. I wouldnt say I am an expert by along shot but I have learnt a few things.
Try these

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/frontdoor/beginners.html

http://www.itlearningmaterials.com/htmltutorials.htm

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/basics.html

They all gave me some good information which may help you. I have designed my own little site using the info and its just a matter of getting time and effort to actually put it on the web.
:)

Ask a Question