How to set up a news reader

How to set up a news reader? I clicked on Toolbar options arrow, pointed to
Add or Remove Buttons and then clicked Customize. I cannot click News and
drag it over Go menu in the Commands list since it's not present there.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.

You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.
http://faq.outlookmvps.org/archives/000710.html

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

I got news back. Thanks for your help.

Mitja said:
How to set up a news reader? I clicked on Toolbar options arrow, pointed
Add or Remove Buttons and then clicked Customize. I cannot click News and
drag it over Go menu in the Commands list since it's not present there.

DebbieG

Windows 98SE, Outlook Express 6

I went to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and my
default newsreader is Outlook, not Outlook Express. Outlook Express is an
option when I click the drop-down arrow. When I click my News button it
goes to Outlook Express and I am able to view newsgroups.

Should I change this or leave well enough alone?

Thanks,
Debbie

| To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel
|
| Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
| OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
| it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.
|
| You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.
| http://faq.outlookmvps.org/archives/000710.html
|
| --
| Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
| Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
| Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

| | > How to set up a news reader? I clicked on Toolbar options arrow, pointed
| > Add or Remove Buttons and then clicked Customize. I cannot click News
and
| > drag it over Go menu in the Commands list since it's not present there.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Leave well enough alone :)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

DebbieG

I've always said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I'm curious as to
why it is working correctly the way it is set up. Do you have an
explanation?

| Leave well enough alone :)
|
| --
| Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
| Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
| Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

| | > Windows 98SE, Outlook Express 6
| >
| > I went to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and my
| > default newsreader is Outlook, not Outlook Express. Outlook Express is
an
| > option when I click the drop-down arrow. When I click my News button it
| > goes to Outlook Express and I am able to view newsgroups.
| >
| > Should I change this or leave well enough alone?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Debbie

| > Panel
| > |
| > | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express.
| > If
| > | OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you
| > launch
| > | it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.
| > |
| > | You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.
| > | http://faq.outlookmvps.org/archives/000710.html
| > |
| > | --
| > | Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
| > | Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
| > | Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > | Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > pointed
News
| > and
| > there.
| > |
| > |

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You never specified your Outlook version. The explanation is that you must
not be using Outlook 2003. The original poster was. In all previous
versions, you had to select Outlook (not Outlook Express) as the news reader
in that dropdown. Doing so would permit Outlook to launch Outlook Express in
"news only" mode to read news. Outlook is not and never has been a news
reader. It has always used Outlook Express. In Outlook 2003, the developers
decided to make it more transparent that Outlook Express was actually the
news reader, so now you must select OE. In fact, in Outlook 2003 the only
option in that dropdown is Outlook Express. But in order for Outlook to
launch OE in news only mode, OE must NOT be set as the default news reader
within OE itself. Doing so will remove the "News" command from Outlook.

Make sense? Of course not. That's why this is the most frequently posted
question in this group.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
DebbieG said:
I've always said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I'm curious as to
why it is working correctly the way it is set up. Do you have an
explanation?

| Leave well enough alone :)
|
| --
| Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
| Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
| Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

| | > Windows 98SE, Outlook Express 6
| >
| > I went to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and my
| > default newsreader is Outlook, not Outlook Express. Outlook Express
is
an
| > option when I click the drop-down arrow. When I click my News button
it
| > goes to Outlook Express and I am able to view newsgroups.
| >
| > Should I change this or leave well enough alone?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Debbie

| > Panel
| > |
| > | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook
Express.
| > If
| > | OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you
| > launch
| > | it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.
| > |
| > | You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.
| > | http://faq.outlookmvps.org/archives/000710.html
| > |
| > | --
| > | Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
| > | Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
| > | Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > | Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > pointed
News
| > and
| > there.
| > |
| > |

DebbieG

Russ,

I am using Outlook 2000. When it comes to computers, some things just don't
make logical sense which makes it difficult for the average user. Thank you
for your explanation.

Debbie

| You never specified your Outlook version. The explanation is that you must
| not be using Outlook 2003. The original poster was. In all previous
| versions, you had to select Outlook (not Outlook Express) as the news
reader
| in that dropdown. Doing so would permit Outlook to launch Outlook Express
in
| "news only" mode to read news. Outlook is not and never has been a news
| reader. It has always used Outlook Express. In Outlook 2003, the
developers
| decided to make it more transparent that Outlook Express was actually the
| news reader, so now you must select OE. In fact, in Outlook 2003 the only
| option in that dropdown is Outlook Express. But in order for Outlook to
| launch OE in news only mode, OE must NOT be set as the default news reader
| within OE itself. Doing so will remove the "News" command from Outlook.
|
| Make sense? Of course not. That's why this is the most frequently posted
| question in this group.
| --
| Russ Valentine
| [MVP-Outlook]
| | > I've always said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I'm curious as
| > why it is working correctly the way it is set up. Do you have an
| > explanation?

| > |
| > | --
| > | Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
| > | Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
| > | Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > | Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > is
| > an
| > it

Control
| > | > |
| > Express.
button.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > News
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Indeed. I'm not even sure "logical sense" and "Outlook" belong in the same
sentence. With Outlook 2000, you still have to contend with another infamous
fiasco: having two separate mail support modes that act like two entirely
different programs. That one has kept users thoroughly confused for years.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
DebbieG said:
Russ,

I am using Outlook 2000. When it comes to computers, some things just
don't
make logical sense which makes it difficult for the average user. Thank
you
for your explanation.

Debbie

| You never specified your Outlook version. The explanation is that you
must
| not be using Outlook 2003. The original poster was. In all previous
| versions, you had to select Outlook (not Outlook Express) as the news
reader
| in that dropdown. Doing so would permit Outlook to launch Outlook
Express
in
| "news only" mode to read news. Outlook is not and never has been a news
| reader. It has always used Outlook Express. In Outlook 2003, the
developers
| decided to make it more transparent that Outlook Express was actually
the
| news reader, so now you must select OE. In fact, in Outlook 2003 the
only
| option in that dropdown is Outlook Express. But in order for Outlook to
| launch OE in news only mode, OE must NOT be set as the default news
reader
| within OE itself. Doing so will remove the "News" command from Outlook.
|
| Make sense? Of course not. That's why this is the most frequently posted
| question in this group.
| --
| Russ Valentine
| [MVP-Outlook]
| | > I've always said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I'm curious as
| > why it is working correctly the way it is set up. Do you have an
| > explanation?

| > |
| > | --
| > | Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
| > | Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
| > | Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > | Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |