HOW TO SECURE Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 & even VISTA, + make it "fun to do"

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Securing Telnet Service, & Usergroups

SECURING THE TELNET SERVICE & USER GROUPS:

And, a Mr. Markuss Jansson on his point on TELNET service (tlntsrv.exe iirc).

http://www.markusjansson.net/exp.html

Turn Telnet NTLM logging off

-> Run: telnet.exe
--> Type (and press enter): unset ntlm

He also has more on things like "EFS" (encrypting filesystem) which I omitted, & both Mr. J.'s site & the GOVERNMENT ones I note, also cover it too (or, supplement points I made with more alternatives etc.).

APK

P.S.=> I list MORE security techniques for securing telnet, here (did this years ago circa 1997-2002, & it's cited in 2001 here @ Neowin, by searching TELNET on that page) to supplement this technique:

=================================
APK "A to Z" Internet Speedup & Security Text!
=================================

http://www.neowin.net/news/apk-a-to-z-internet-speedup--security-text

It had its "dim early beginnings" back in 1997-1998, as the VERY FIRST security guide for Windows NT-based Operating Systems (2000/XP/Server 2003 currently) @ NTCompatible.com (albeit for Windows NT, & 2000 there only) as their "Article #1" here http://web.archive.org/web/20020205091023/www.ntcompatible.com/article1.shtml (it started out on how to speed up a Windows NT based PC, & grew into a "SPEED & SECURITY GUIDE" there over the next few years 1998-2002 or so).

=================================

Which goes into that point on TELNET & many others (including more speed tuneups, services cutoffs for speed + security in DETAIL & far more also to supplement this post here)... apk

Last edited:

APK

Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Applications Vulnerability Scanners & more

More security tools/info. (04/28/2008), for APPLICATION LEVEL SECURITY:

(I.E.-> For checking for apps you have that may be security vulnerable OR have been patched vs. said vulnerabilities, etc.):

----

SECUNIA PSI (checks for outdated OR apps that are known to be insecure):

secunia_psi_screen.png

https://psi.secunia.com/

NEW VERSION (released very recently too).

A good program, by a trusted & WELL-KNOWN security-oriented website online (I tried version 1 earlier on last year, it needed work. This one is solid though, so far @ least, imo!)

(It works, & sometimes catches things FILEHIPPO UPDATE CHECKER below, won't - good "2nd Doctor's opinion" etc.)

----

FileHippo's Update Checker (checks for outdated OR apps that are known to be insecure, supplement's PSI above):

filehippo_update_checker.png

http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Decent program as well, & good to use as a supplement to the SECUNIA PSI Tool as well (from a well-known file downloads site also in filehippo).

(It works, & sometimes catches things SECUNIA PSI above, won't - good "2nd Doctor's opinion" etc.)

----

APK Registry Cleaning Engine 2002++ SR-7:

389.jpg

http://www1.techpowerup.com//downloads/389/foowhatevermakesgooglehappy.html

:)

* Yes, "shameless plug" on MY part on the last one, but, it does have "security benefits"...

(& more than potentially useful forensics ones, because it shows you what files a user calls upon via its lists (it does check recently used filelists, but, will also list those files the user attempted to delete (this assumes he may have been attempting to hide them)))... it is 100% proven SAFE on all 32-bit versions of Windows (see its description & feedback by users on the download page) 9x-VISTA as well)).

APK

APK

Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
"Checks & Balances" (accuracy check of this article by "pros")

I also "took the liberty" of contacting a well-known "security-pro" (in Don Parker of "SecurityFocus.com" fame, whom I post with @ Security Forums online with whose URL is below & I referred he to it, as it is the same content as the one here)!

This is in regards to my outline/article/guide here, & here were HIS thoughts/opinions on its content @ this point:

Hello apk,

I don't see any real downsides to what you posted. The only thing is that
you need to remember the audience that it is you are trying to reach. If
your goal was to hit the newbies as it were then you may have missed the
mark a bit. Beyond that, it looks fine to me.

--Don