How to globally turn off reading pane and show in groups options?

Alek

Is there a way to have the reading pane (under the View - Reading Pane menu)
and the show in groups (under the View - Group By menu) be turned off the by
default. Every time I create a folder I have to manually change these
options. I am wondering if there is a registry hack or something else I can
use to make all folders to have these options turned off.

Alek

The closest thing you can do is create a custom view with no reading pane and
no groups and make sure it's available to all folders...then each time you go
into a new or different folder, set the folder to use that view.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

I was looking at this answer and I'm disappointed that there isn't a better
way. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to /nopreview that would open
without ever showing in groups? I have a blind user that really needs all
folders to be consistently set to not show in groups and not use the reading
or preview panes. I have been through the tedious task of setting the
messages view exactly the way it needs to be, but for some reason on a new
folder the show in groups keeps coming back. I can't realistically ask her to
turn off the group option every time she creates a new folder. There are
already enough extra steps for her.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

you have two options - always start outlook with the /nopreivew switch or
customize the global messages view has the preview off.

basic instructions on changing a default view are at
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm but I would probably just use
the switch - previews can be turned on individually as needed but will be
turned off with each restart.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

oops... I misread this. Use nopreivew to remove the preview but also use the
method at the url to remove grouping from the global view.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Cheryl said:
I was looking at this answer and I'm disappointed that there isn't a
better
way. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to /nopreview that would
open
without ever showing in groups? I have a blind user that really needs all
folders to be consistently set to not show in groups and not use the
reading
or preview panes. I have been through the tedious task of setting the
messages view exactly the way it needs to be, but for some reason on a
new
folder the show in groups keeps coming back. I can't realistically ask
her to
turn off the group option every time she creates a new folder. There are
already enough extra steps for her.

I'm using the /nopreview and that is working just fine. I already went
through the process of changing the default view (i.e. messages) following
the instructions listed. Perhaps I missed unchecking "show in groups", but I
didn't think I had. Anyway, at this point I don't have it in me to do a
/cleanviews because it literally gets rid of all customization and I have
nearly 100 customized folders for this person!

Thanks for the help.
--
Cheryl (CGA)

:

The closest thing you can do is create a custom view with no reading
pane and
no groups and make sure it's available to all folders...then each time
you go
into a new or different folder, set the folder to use that view.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

reply

:

Forgot to mention: Outlook 2003.

"Alek" <alekDOTdavisATintelDOTcom> wrote in message
Is there a way to have the reading pane (under the View - Reading
Pane
menu) and the show in groups (under the View - Group By menu) be
turned
off the by default. Every time I create a folder I have to manually
change
these options. I am wondering if there is a registry hack or
something
else I can use to make all folders to have these options turned off.

Alek

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

if you do it for the Messages view it will apply to all newly created
folders.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

It will, but all my other views will have to be re-created. I have to set the
calendar & contact views to a specific table layout so the screen reader will
not literally read "Thu"...as you can imagine, hearing "Thursday" beats the
heck out of hearing "Thu". Unfortunately, you can't just change the messages
view without doing the cleanviews first. If you change the messages view and
try to apply it on the other existing folders it won't take the changes. Then
you have to change each folder. I lose sleep at night thinking at some point
in the future I will lose all my view changes.
--
Cheryl (CGA)

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

if the problem is "thu" specifically and not grouping in general, try
changing the system's long date format to use the full name.

losing the custom views is a concern - while you can copy them for backup,
reapplying them is not fun either.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Cheryl said:
[...]

*** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered --
please
reply

:

Forgot to mention: Outlook 2003.

"Alek" <alekDOTdavisATintelDOTcom> wrote in message
Is there a way to have the reading pane (under the View -
Reading
Pane
menu) and the show in groups (under the View - Group By menu)
be
turned
off the by default. Every time I create a folder I have to
manually
change
these options. I am wondering if there is a registry hack or
something
else I can use to make all folders to have these options
turned
off.

Alek

I'm able in the view to under Format Columns to Choose "Thursday, December
29, 2005 11:00 AM" , but I have to do this on each view type (Calendar,
Message, etc) for each date field. Not to mention getting the specific width
of the fields set to maximize what the screen reader will read, etc. So it's
not a matter of one issue, it's that once I get the view set, I really need
it to apply to all the folders because there are numerous specific changes
that have to be made to the view.

I've tried backing up the views, but restoring requires reapplying on each
folder. It's not a great option either.

I'd love to be able to write a program to set the view details, but I
haven't seen anything that lets you do that on the default Messages view. It
looks like you can copy views programatically and make some changes, but not
as much as I really need.
--
Cheryl (CGA)