Windows XP How to get started here

Reaction score
Hi. I've just registered and wish to seek some support with a formatting problem.
I don't know if this is the right area and I can't find out how to post a question in any of the forums. Any help in getting to the correct forum and how to post a question would be greatly appreciated.

My real question is "How do I get rid of two copies of Windows XP on my computer?"

I loaded a new genuine copy (to replace a counterfeit copy) onto my computer twice and now I have duplicated programmes, files and drives I've never heard of.

I wish to format the lot and just install one copy (genuine this time) of XP.

My system has 2 drives. The main hard drive and a separately installed hard drive. The main hard drive has been partitioned into C: and E: and the separate drive is D:

The second installation of XP put windows into G: so I now have two copies of Windows, one on C: (the overwritten counterfeit copy) and a new installation on G:

Any help or direction to somewhere else greatly appreciated.
Johnno

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Johnno,

I've moved the post to the correct area now, but you seem to have sorted how to post a question :)

The easiest way to format your PC and install windows XP would be to boot from the windows CD (i.e. have it in on startup) and then it should ask which partition you want to install to. If I remember correctly it is possible to delete all existing partitions at this point, and you can tell it to install to the first hard drive. As the partitions will have been deleted you will lose the C&E drives along with ALL data on them (be sure to back up what ever you want).

Once windows is installed you can then sort out your second hard drive. If you want to clean everything on if you can simply right click on the drive in Windows Explorer and format it from there to remove all information.

Ask a Question