How to connect a laptop from work into home network

G

I have 2 computers on a home network that can easily share files. One PC is running Windows 98, the other was just upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional. These 2 PCs are part of a workgroup. I'd like to bring my Windows 2000 laptop home from work, connect it to my home network, and be able to share files with the other PCs.

The problem appears to be that my laptop logs in to a domain when its connected to the network at work. I can connect my laptop to my home network, access the internet, and even find the shared drives on the other 2 PCs, but I get an error message when I try to look at the files on those drives. The error message says something about "unable to find a domain controller" (which I of course don't have at home).

As far as I can figure things out, a PC that's configured to log into a DOMAIN will not be able to share files with a PC that's configured as part of a WORKGROUP. Is this correct, or is there some way to get these PCs to communicate?

G

Please ignore this last post. After more searching on this site, I did come across others that have had this same problem. I'll try some of the solutions that were posted.

Thanks,
Greg

Ask a Question