How to Clear Old Items From the Run Command

JD

When I enter a letter in the Run command, I get a long drop-down list of
previous entries starting with that letter, some of them quite old. I know
there is a way to completely clear this history but I can't find it in Help.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Right-click on your Taskbar and select:
Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Clear

Third-party solution:

System Security Suite (3S) is a program designed to remove internet tracks
and junk files from your computer. It allows you to delete Cookies,
clear Internet Explorer Cache, delete index.dat Files, clear Typed URLs,
Windows Temp Folder and much more.
http://www.igorshpak.net/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| When I enter a letter in the Run command, I get a long drop-down list of
| previous entries starting with that letter, some of them quite old. I know
| there is a way to completely clear this history but I can't find it in Help.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

RunMRU listing - Sources:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

When I enter a letter in the Run command, I get a long drop-down list of
previous entries starting with that letter, some of them quite old. I know
there is a way to completely clear this history but I can't find it in Help.

Talahasee

This function is also available in a WONDERFUL little
program (FREE) available at

www.download.com

called "CCleaner"

(Crap Cleaner)

I thought I'd seen some XELENT computer cleaners, then I
downloaded and ran Crap Cleaner!

W O W !!

It does the work of 5 other programs!

And it's FAST!

I now run crap cleaner probably 3 - 4 times a week. Whenever
things start to "gum up", and "slow down", I run Crap
Cleaner.

I also run my Cookie Manager / (deleter) separately. Cookie
Manager gives me EXCELLENT visual control of which cookies I
want and don't want.

Good luck!

Tallahassee

JD

I have and that does not clear the entries in the drop-down list from the
Run command.

JD

This procedure clears the items from Recent Documents, but not the entries
in the Run commands drop-down list.

right click the start buton, click properties, click customise, click
advanced, click clear list in recent documents and log off and log back on
the list will be cleared. be weary of downloading cleanup programs. more
often than not they are more trouble than they are worth.

JD

Apparently there are a half-dozen (quite old) entries that are not removed
when the normal procedures are followed. I tried downloading (from a link on
your site) from Microsoft a program to clear these entries but several
attempts failed. It kept telling me to "try again," so I gave up. I thought
deleting the History folder was promising but Windows would not allow me to
delete it. It does sound as if there is a corrupted Index.DAT since clearing
the History does remove "recent" entries but leave these older ones. The
registry shows no entries in the MRU pane.

David Candy

Run does not use Dats (unless they are web sites).
Type regedit in Start Run and poke about here.
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU\MRUList
What happens as you look then try to delete.
How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
Ramesh said:
RunMRU listing - Sources:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

When I enter a letter in the Run command, I get a long drop-down list of
previous entries starting with that letter, some of them quite old. I know
there is a way to completely clear this history but I can't find it in
Help.

JD

These entries are web sites. They are also quite old.
The MRU pane is empty.
A link provided by Ramesh suggests deleting the Content.IE5 folder, but I do
not find one under the Username Owner. I'm unclear as to whether it is
really safe to delete the folder Temporary Internet Files.
When I enter a "w" in the Run space, this list of six entries drops down. If
I select one and then delete it, it keeps appearing again when a letter is
entered.
Recent Web addresses ARE removed when I follow the normal procedure.
Ramesh said:
RunMRU listing - Sources:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

When I enter a letter in the Run command, I get a long drop-down list of
previous entries starting with that letter, some of them quite old. I
know
there is a way to completely clear this history but I can't find it in
Help.

Kurious

Disk Cleaner

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/diskcleaner.html