Clearing Entries from the Run command dropdown list

neville

I have a problem clearing the entries in the "Run" command dropdown
list. Please bear with me while I explain the problem as I am very new
to Windows.

I find that there are entries other than commands on this list. They
are file path names and URLs. A typical file name entry looks like

file:///F:/workdir/fileset/set1.zip

My F drive corresponds to an Imogea Zip drive. The URL entries
are just plain URLs. I also have entries corresponding to
filesystems that I mounted on drives and have then unmounted
using Cygwin. (Perhaps this is important in that file operations
done within Cygwin are conveyed to wherever the file names
are stored.)

Googling around I found the usual advice regarding IE:
"Did you try going to control panel, internet options and deleteing
all cookies history and temp files..."

Well, I have not used IE since day one as the first thing I did was
download Firefox and it is the only browser that I have used. But,
I followed the adive to no avail.

I also found the following advice at Annoyances.org

1. Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
2. Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\
CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ RunMRU\.
3. Delete all of the values in this key (everything in the right
pane, except for (Default)).
4. Close the Registry Editor when finished. You'll probably have
to refresh the Desktop or restart Windows for this change
to take effect.

Needless to say, this does NOT work. The file path names and
URLs are still there. (Several replies to to the above message
indicate that this is not a complete fix.)

I also installed TweakUI. Even though I did as adviced (Go to
Explorer and turn out Clear document history on exit),
this does not clear the file and URL entries that I see even
though the description claims the the document history
*and* the "run dialog history, and typed-URL history" will
be cleared on logoff.

I seems that file names and paths are stored other than in
the RunMRU key. As the Run command list is so cluttered,
I would much obliged if someone can give me a pointer
out of this problem.

I run WindowsXP on a Dell (standard installaion from Dell).
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Please be detailed in your advice as I am a Windows
novice.

Thanks

np

If you are referring to the RUN command accessed from the taskbar:
1. Left click on any blank space on the taskbar
2. Right click on Properties
3. Left click on the "Start Menu" tab at top
4. Left click on "Customize" box
5. Left click on the "Clear List" box

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Control Panel/Internet Options/Content tab, click on autocomplete and clear
the entries.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

So sorry, got mixed up on my "clicks".
Proper sequence is:

1. Left click on any blank space on the taskbar
2. Right click on Properties
3. Left click on the "Start Menu" tab at top
4. Left click on "Customize" box
5. Left click on the "Clear List" box

This assumes you have not modified the taskbar (i.e., you are not using
"Classic Start Menu".

This time for sure! Proper steps to clear RUN drop-down box entries:

1. Right click on any blank space on the taskbar
2. Leftt click on Properties
3. Left click on the "Start Menu" tab at top
4. Left click on "Customize" box
5. Left click on the "Clear List" box

neville

If you are referring to the RUN command accessed from the taskbar:
1. Left click on any blank space on the taskbar
2. Right click on Properties
3. Left click on the "Start Menu" tab at top
4. Left click on "Customize" box
5. Left click on the "Clear List" box

My somewhat lengthly note was to make clear that THIS
DOES NOT WORK. I put that it in explicitly in my plea for
help As I said, others, before me, had logged this.+

It cleans out the the document list, but it does nothing
to the Run command list. It appears that there is a
big misunderstanding of what does what.

Waiting for suggestions .......

thanks anyway for taking time out to reply,

rctfreek

Control Panel/Internet Options
Click the "Clear History" button.

This will clear your IE History (which is not big problem if you ask
me) but it will also Clear the "Run" box List.

Rctfreak

That is not the list the OP is trying to clear.

That just clears the most recent used programs list on the start menu.
The OP is wanting to clear the list that shows up when you click on
"Run" in the start menu.

Easiest Way to clear the "Run" list is to clear IE's History.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

FYI, clearing the recent documents history *does* clear the RunMRU as well.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

<Rctfreak> wrote in message
That is not the list the OP is trying to clear.

That just clears the most recent used programs list on the start menu.
The OP is wanting to clear the list that shows up when you click on
"Run" in the start menu.

Easiest Way to clear the "Run" list is to clear IE's History.

neville

Hi,

Control Panel/Internet Options/Content tab, click on autocomplete and clear
the entries.

Sorry. Tried it even before the post. Does not work. Thanks for the
response, all the same. All suggestions are welcome.

np

neville

This time for sure! Proper steps to clear RUN drop-down box entries:

1. Right click on any blank space on the taskbar
2. Leftt click on Properties
3. Left click on the "Start Menu" tab at top
4. Left click on "Customize" box
5. Left click on the "Clear List" box

Alas! No go. It clears out the Recent Documents list, etc.
but not the list in the Run command. Thanks, anyway.

np

neville

FYI, clearing the recent documents history *does* clear the RunMRU as well.

I read one your posts in another group or forum regarding this. You
had suggested a commercial solution. Can you remind me what is
was?

Clearing recent documents history *does NOT* clear my RunMRU. In
fact, I have removed RunRMU from the registry, and these entries
in the Run command persist.

I have also used Tweak UI for XP. Even though there is no
"Paranoia" tab on the XP version, there is a check box that
*claims* that the Run command list will be cleared. This is
NOT the case.

Thanks anyway.

np

neville

Control Panel/Internet Options
Click the "Clear History" button.

This will clear your IE History (which is not big problem if you ask
me) but it will also Clear the "Run" box List.

Not enough! The list in the Run dialog box is intact.

np

Ramesh, MS-MVP

You had suggested a commercial solution. Can you remind me what is was?

Sorry, I don't remember what it was. I usually suggest the following page:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm

Clearing the recent docs history clears the RunMRU as well, in all my test
systems. This has been the way it worked for years. If you want, test with
RegMon

Deleting the RunMRU manually requires a reboot for the change to take effect

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

FYI, clearing the recent documents history *does* clear the RunMRU as well.

I read one your posts in another group or forum regarding this. You
had suggested a commercial solution. Can you remind me what is
was?

Clearing recent documents history *does NOT* clear my RunMRU. In
fact, I have removed RunRMU from the registry, and these entries
in the Run command persist.

I have also used Tweak UI for XP. Even though there is no
"Paranoia" tab on the XP version, there is a check box that
*claims* that the Run command list will be cleared. This is
NOT the case.

Thanks anyway.

np

neville

Try one of the best cleaners at the following address:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ccleaner

It's free
It will clean out all the junk files.

Hurray! Yeeyeh!!

Thanks a million. Did the trick. The next time I run it, I want to
see where XP stores stuff by turning on the options one at
a time. None of the other "within Wiindows" suggestions
worked, but this did if right of the bat.

One more for free/open software. Have already sent in
my money though. Well worth it, considering money paid
for broken software.

Thanks again. Really amazing why this is not better known.

np

neville

Sorry, I don't remember what it was. I usually suggest the following page:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm

Clearing the recent docs history clears the RunMRU as well, in all my test
systems. This has been the way it worked for years. If you want, test with
RegMon

Deleting the RunMRU manually requires a reboot for the change to take effect

Yes, I rebooted (normal life with Windows, isn't it?) . The only entry
in the key was the default. That did not good when I rebooted.

The answer is "ccleaner". Efficient, works as advertised, customisable
and ..... free!

np