How to automate rules or roll out rules in outlook

G

I see that is question has been asked but not answered before. I am wanting to roll out Outlook to our 2500 odd desktops and need a way to push out some rules. Is there any way to do this? I have looked all over and even started trying to copy off and replace the files created in a users profile when rules are made. I can make the rules turn up but they are marked (for another computer) and don't seem to like to work.

For the sake of focus though lets not look at what I want to do and look at the question others are interested in also. How do I roll out rules to existing users or as part of an initial rollout. I thought OPS files did this but in my efforts it seems quite clear that they do not. Any ideas?

N

Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

Slipstick site may have your answer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm#fileloc

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

I see that is question has been asked but not answered before. I am wanting
to roll out Outlook to our 2500 odd desktops and need a way to push out some
rules. Is there any way to do this? I have looked all over and even
started trying to copy off and replace the files created in a users profile
when rules are made. I can make the rules turn up but they are marked (for
another computer) and don't seem to like to work.

For the sake of focus though lets not look at what I want to do and look at
the question others are interested in also. How do I roll out rules to
existing users or as part of an initial rollout. I thought OPS files did
this but in my efforts it seems quite clear that they do not. Any ideas?

G

Ahh yes I have been through this page (slipstick are good really lots of useful stuff)

as the page mentions
Rules Wizard rules (Outlook 2000 and earlier versions) .rwz files X Outlook[under profile/appdata...

So I created a RWZ using the export functions of the wizard and placed it in that folder of several machines and it did not show up. So good link, good advice but it does not work (at least in my environ) sadly

One of the things I want to do is force sent/outgoing email to go to a folder of my choosing. It seems this can be done with a com object so I'll look into that today. Still there are other rules and really I want to push out new ones as required. So I am still really keen on automating the install of rules. I see another reply from someone in the programming outlook section says there is no programming interface for client side rules..

Still I can get most of the way there with file copies so perhaps someone has managed it

Thanks for your reply, good site and definately someone worth trying/knowing

Ask a Question