how much does a processor effect gaming?

Reaction score
hello all!

basically i have got spare parts to build a pc on the cheap... preferably one that can play games to a reasonalbly high standard...

i have a AGPx4 slot mobo and all i need is a good processor the current processor is an AMD athlon-PECM, 1400 MHz

i want to upgrade it to a faster AMD but dont no what one and wheather or not it will fit in with the mobo... but to save money i wondered... how much does a processor actuali affect a game ?! because i dont want this computer to be amaizingly good but one that will do the job :D

also what gfx card can u suggest me buying as all it needs to be able to do is handle counter strike :p i was thinking just a 6600 ? or something... or a 9800 pro?? what is the best value for money??

i take it these to gfx cards will work in a AGPx4 slot :s

im going to stick in another 512Mb of RAM (ebay £20 :D) to bring it up 2 726Mb or something like that....

so i should come out with a nice cheap computer at the end of this :D hopefully :)

Reaction score
Not sure whether thats worth it, to be honest - it will be a major bottleneck - a 1.4GHz A N C I E N T cpu... with a shiny new 6600GT, limited to use in an AGP 4x slot.

You can pick up a very good Socket A Mobo for £53.99 inc VAT - A7N8XE-Deluxe nForce 2ST, and a 2600+ or a Sempron for a bit less than that.

Far more worth it, imo...

what do other people think?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
how much does a processor effect gaming?
Everything runs through the processor ... if you want a fast PC, get a fast CPU ;)

Reaction score
i dont want to spend to much money though...

i will be getting a new CPU anyways but i will also need a new GFX card and RAM and if i HAVE to i suppose i will have to get a new mobo...

im on the 1.4 processor at the moment and it seem to run quite fast... i no i will need to get a new one but just saying :)

can u recomomend a bundle with a CPU, GFX card and possibly a mobo :)

theres this on komplett but doesnt include a gfx card! http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=109410&cks=SPK

and this more suitable for my budget http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=112614&cks=SPK

thanx :)

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
AGP 4X is not worth getting a new graphics card for it, get the mobo chris suggested and a new CPU like an athlon 2800 XP, then a new graphics card like a 9800 pro maybe a 6600GT as its not much more

you can get an HIS 9800 Pro for £80 !! this week only from overclockers

Reaction score
check out the offer from komplett on my post above ( the cheaper option )

that looks a good deal and i will then have money to get a 6600 gt ...

and at a later date purchase a better CPU but still the same model e.g. AMD 3500 64 or 4000 :D

one question with the mobo...

on my mobo atm i have one agp slot ( for gfx card ) and the rest are pci... on this new one i will be getting (hopefully :p)
will it have pci slots as i would like to put my old parts in like ethernet, firewire usb ports, souncard etc ect

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the mobo in the cheaper option has 5 PCI slots and an AGP slot, it alos has onboard LAN and 8 USB sockets and 8 channel onboard sound

Reaction score
Yea if Me__2001 is correct thats pretty damn nice for cheap price so you probaly wouldnt need all that junk to put in pci slots :D

Reaction score
is 8 channel onboard sound any good? because i can get a cheap soundcard off ebay and i will have a st of 5.1 speakers.... i will need the pci slots for extra usb's :p and my firewire ports ( for the ipod:D)

but overall would you say that bundle was a good deal and worth the money ???

and do you think a 6600gt will go well with it :p

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the onboard sound will be good enough for gaming and listening to music it has the same onboard chip i have and the sound is fine, there are 4 USB ports on the back panel so they should keep you going plus i think it comes with a PCI bracket with the other 4 to plug in, i think you'll need to add the firewire yourself as i can't find a site with detailed specs that says it has one, it has gigabit LAN and a built in firewall aswell

the 6600GT will be a good choice for this as its all pretty balanced performance wise, getting a faster card will mean the other parts will become bottleneck's, if you get another stick of RAM you can use the dual channel support on the board to get a bit more speed out of it

Reaction score
thanks me!

im looking to get another 512Mb off komplett that should speed things up :D

did u say it comes with firewire port ??? or i will have to use my old ones??

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i cant find anywhere that says it does so you may need to use your old ones

Reaction score
o kool and will it be possible... ( because this is turning out to be a good comp!! ) to change the processor to a amd64 3500 or something faster???

do you think the xfx 6600 gt is the card to go for or a gainward 6800 gamers edition??? or a x800xl :p

so muddled :):p

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the board supports up to the FX series CPU's so upgrading to a 3500 will be fine, a X800XL is better than the 6600GT so if you can afford it buy it, which ones are you looking at ?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd avoid the 6800 purely because its B grade, the X800XL looks the best out of the three

Reaction score
and the most expensive lol :p

suppose you get what you pay for...how much better would you say the x800XL is to the 6600gt and isit worth the extra £££??

if i get another 512Mb of RAM should i get the same model and make??

and is it worth buying a agp mobo seeing that pci express is the future of pc gaming ??? how long left would you say until agp is completely outdated??

Reaction score
Yes i would say it is worth the extra money if you have it ...

Yes, try and get the same make and model RAM ...

AGP should be around for some more time i think ... people are only just taking to PCI-Express ... so don't worry about that lol

Reaction score
ok after a bit of research i have decided on this... please tell me if you think otherwise... i have changed the mobo because i prefer the futureproof option of PCI-E :p

The Mobo
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=308693&cks=SER

The CPU
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=307201&cks=SER

and not to sure on RAM but if you could recomend a cheap 512MB stick i would be grateful :)

and i will be getting the XFX 6600 GT...

the mobo ( as i cant tell ) does it have pci slots for my extra firewire,usb ports etc ??

thanx :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score

Ask a Question