New processor.

Reaction score
After seeing the recent screenshots for Oblivion (that new elder scrolls game) and the bare minimum hardware needed to run the game, i realised that i want a new processor. i dont know alot about processors so any help would again, be greatly appreciated.

mobo: A7N8X-VM
current processor (i think): AMD Athlon Xp (2.0Ghz)

:) thanks in advance

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You're going to need a new MB as well ...

;)

Reaction score
i dont really want to get a new MB at the moment, but will i need one if i want to get this damned processor?

muckshifter

Reaction score
This nForce2-based motherboard comes with dual-channel DDR400 memory for great performance. AGP 8X standard and integrated GeForce4 MX graphics elevate your video experience (err, not for games it ain't). Together with onboard LAN and audio, the A7N8X-VM is a quality solution you can count on.

Socket A for AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred/ Barton Core Support
And that's the problem ... it's 50 years old ... so you'll need to find a forty-year-old CPU.

Sorry to put it that way, but it makes it easier for you to understand your problem ... there is a consolation prize, if you are using 400 memory, in that you can use your existing kit and just get a new MB/CPU.

:)

Reaction score
MBoard. CPU & Fan

On ebuyer.com for £124.99 Quickfind code: 103335. Foxconn 760GX SKT754 motherboard bundle onboard VGA LAN Audio including AMD CPU 3000+ and AMD CPU cooler. Looks OK & not to many £££. Also have a look at www.novatech.com at their bundle deals. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
sorry feckit, but anything with onboard video should be avoided if possible especially used it the same sentence with the word games. ;)

Also a bit backward going for 754, you really should only consider 754 as an entry level Office PC ... not saying you can't get a decent 754, but one should be looking at 939 at least.

So, Asus A8N-E would be a good starter ... all you need + PCI-E £70inc

:D

Reaction score
I stand corrected

Must remember as a non-gamer i dont understand the finer points of having decent graphics:blush:. Also as an ex-it techie in the nhs must get out of the habit of quoting for office capable pc's! The Asus A8N-E is a fine Motherboard, even i have one:D

Reaction score
okay, but i have a AGP graphics card, and i dont particularily want that to go to waste.

Any decent AGP compatible MB's? or will i just have to bite the bullet and pay for the A8N-E....

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm misleading you ... I'm no gamer.

But games require a good fast Graphics card ... CPU is actually a secondary consideration.

AGP is dieing ... finding a good AGP card for your MB is easy enough, but it will not run tomorrows games and you'll find yourself back to square one.

Buying the Asus A8N-E is a good idea, until you look closer and see you'll ALSO need a new CPU & PCI-E grapics card and probably memory as well ... you can do this and use most, if not all, of the other kit you have.

Your present MB has an 8x AGP slot ... what IS the card you have in there at the moment? ;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
AGP is dieing ... finding a good AGP card for your MB is easy enough, but it will not run tomorrows games and you'll find yourself back to square one.

Hes right though, it all depends how serious of a gamer you are, if you interested in playing every single game that comes out to its absolute death then i recomend what captain crunchy said, if not then..

ill get my coat :D and my goat :blush:

Reaction score
i have a GF 6600 GT in there at the moment i got it for christmas, so the parental units frown upon buying a new PCI-E card when i already have this one.
i was looking at that MB and my current ram would fit but like you sed, i'll need a new CPU and card.

Ask a Question