How Long Does Your PC Stay on for?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
£222.00 for a quarter (three months) :eek:

Thanks, PSD, you could help as well you know, just ask if you're interested ;)

sure so what does this entail

from what ive read
i think its got something to do with keeping ur pc on!!!!

lol

well if so i could be ur no1 assistant!

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I turn mine on when i get up in the morning and only turn it off when i go to bed, and when i go out to uni or work.

To make an average guess, I'd say it's running for about 8 hrs a day. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
sure so what does this entail

from what ive read
i think its got something to do with keeping ur pc on!!!!

lol

well if so i could be ur no1 assistant!What does it entail?

What does it entail?

I'll try and explain as I see it, briefly, but give me 24 hours or so and I'll find some links that explain it better.

First and foremost, NO, it doesn't mean keeping your PC on all the time. The work is done only when your computer is on, and that's up to you, obviously.

Scientists and doctors, in their efforts to find a cure for Cancer and other diseases, use computer simulation. They simulate proteins and see how they react together and against cancer proteins, and other disease stuff.

They do not have the computing power to run these simulations themselves, so they ask for volunteers.

All over the World, everywhere, are people helping these guys (and us, ultimately) out.

The UD program runs in the background on your PC and always backs off for CPU usage, it takes last place in the queue. That means whatever you're doing, the UD program won't slow down what you're doing. You can play all the games you like, render video footage, the cancer cure program won't affect or slow it down in the slightest.

However, your computer will not run 'idle' whilst you're running the program. If your computer is on but inactive the UD program means your CPU will always run 100%. And this means, obviously, more heat. That's the disadvantage.

But, you can always disable the program whenever you want to.

A typical 'work unit' can take anything from 3 to 20 hours to process, using UD. I'm not sure about Folding & FAD.

But, we all know somebody who's been affected by Cancer. It is one poxy disease that causes nothing but misery and heartache.

I like to think I'm doing my bit to help out.

As I said, give me a whiles, and I'll supply some links. But right now it's a little late, I am tired and I am chilling :)

But perhaps give it some thought :)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Hey Flops, I also would be interested in some of the work units you mention. I tried installing a Folding@Home client a while back, but it wouldnt work for some reason, so I would certainly be interested in learning a little more about the others you mentioned.
Maybe you could start a new thread (when you got the time) with details of the different protein folding clients/programs, so that anyone who is interested can have a go, we could all post in the thread when we reach certain levels too. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cache-man: For sure.

Just give a little while, per-leeze, I is kinda knackered at the moment ;)

Maybe a team pcreview is a possibility?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That sounds like an excellent idea flopp's, i already fold for Custom pc magazine with my little Pentium II 266 and have folded over 260 units, so would definitley want to help out maybe on my main machine.

Let's kick some serious ass e'r i mean protein.:p

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Maybe a team pcreview is a possibility?

LOL i was just going to say what about a "Team PCR" or something... - there seems to be loads of other teams competing... i'm sure we could have one here, it adds to the competitivness!!!!!!!!

Lets do it!!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be up for a UD team if we can get a few members together that would be interested in it, I've got 2 computers that I can get it running on which are on a fair bit :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd go with UD, I been crunching for BBF for 3.5 years now, and lots are leaving to go with FAD.

So, I would probably switch.

Now, lemme go find them links...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's a few to be going on with. If enough people express an interest in crunching proteins to help cure cancer, we'll have to form a Team PCReview. Would youse all like me to start a new thread linked to this one where you could express an interest or even say 'I ain't doing that'? ;)

Overview of the UD Cancer Reasearch project

Download the UD Cancer Reasearch Software

My current team. I'm at roughly position 20 in that list.

Download the Find-A-Drug software from Here. Also lots of information about the project at that link.

I really don't know much about Folding At Home, though I ran it a little while about five years ago. Do a Google :D

Ask a Question