how get bottom of screen to be one line?

Mike Hollywood

Hi,

I upgraded a friend's old win98 computer to XP Home yesterday, and noticed
the taskbar is two lines thick instead of one. It was that way running 98,
and it's still that way running xp.
You know how you can hover the mouse pointer on bounderies and the
double arrrow pops up so you can drag the bounderies around? Well, on this
one, it doesn't let me pull down to one line, it only lets me pull it all
the way down and dissapper the taskbar except for a very thin edge, about
1/32 of an inch, that the pointer can hook, and i can drag it back up, but
it goes up to two lines. Other than that, everything is working like it
should.
Because he's working with a 15" monitor i'd like to get this line back
for him. I checked the properties for the toolbars by right clicking the
taskbar, and the only one with a check in it is the quick launch bar. Now
get this, if I remove the check for the quick launch, I can drag it down and
get a single taskbar line, if the quick launch is checked, I can't. There
are about 6 icons in the quick launch line.
Any ideas much appreciated.
Thanks,

Mike

David Candy

All the parts have to be on the left/right of each other not on top of one another.

Mike Hollywood

Hello David,
Thanks for the reply.
All the parts are in a row on one line.
From left to right there is the
start icon in green, followed by two vertical lines of whitish dots,
followed by 6 quick start icons, then
about 3 inches of blank, then the the clock, and 2 other things in there.
The two other things are showing undereach other with the clock on
the top. Eurica, thanks David, that's probably what's causing it.

Now the problem is how to I put them along side each other?

Mike

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
All the parts have to be on the left/right of each other not on top of one
another.

David Candy

You drag tham into one row of 2x height, then you can resize to 1x height.. The twin dotty things is where you grab a toolbar to drag it. It's a bit fustrating. You'll just have to learn as you'll go as words can't describe the haphazard results of dragging toolbars..

I wonder if the problem could be caused by simply not having the taskbar
locked? To find out, right click an empty area of the taskbar. A menu will
appear. Click lock the taskbar. I experimented with many taskbar
appearances before settling on "AutoHide" and 2x high.