How do you install driver for dvd drive when it won't boot into Windows?

Reaction score
This Dell is my friend's pc. It comes on and will go to the setup menu. The hardrive and disk drive both show up but I can't get the pc to read the disk drive. It says A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Status: 0xc000000e

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
This Dell is my friend's pc. It comes on and will go to the setup menu. The hardrive and disk drive both show up but I can't get the pc to read the disk drive. It says A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Status: 0xc000000e
Welcome to PC Review!

DVD drives don't normally need drivers because the drivers are built into Windows, even while running Windows setup. There could be a problem with the DVD drive.

Does the drive appear in the PC's BIOS? When you power the PC on, and see the Dell logo, try pressing the F2 key to access the SETUP/BIOS. Further instuctions are available directly from Dell (external link).

I'm guessing this is a desktop and the DVD drive in question is internal installed in the PC. Have you tried with an external USB DVD drive, or tried transplanting a known working DVD drive from another PC?

It'd also help if you could provide the model of the PC in question.

Thanks

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Reaction score
It's a Dell Optiplex. I still don't have it working yet. Yes it appears in the setup screen. When I try to boot from it and error comes up that it's not available. Maybe it just doesn't know where the driver is. Like what directory. Can I help it find it through DOS? I was reading Computer Hope site. It was saying that I could tell it where to find the driver through DOS. It mentions the commands to try. I haven't tried it in another computer because I don't have another desktop that works to try it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
It's a Dell Optiplex. I still don't have it working yet. Yes it appears in the setup screen. When I try to boot from it and error comes up that it's not available. Maybe it just doesn't know where the driver is. Like what directory. Can I help it find it through DOS? I was reading Computer Hope site. It was saying that I could tell it where to find the driver through DOS. It mentions the commands to try. I haven't tried it in another computer because I don't have another desktop that works to try it in.
Unfortunately I don't think DOS will really help you here.

As mentioned, DVD drives are normally native and shouldn't need drivers installed. If you're still having problems, there might be a problem with the drive or the disc you're attempting to boot from.

May I ask what's actually wrong with the PC and why you're so determined to boot from a DVD? Is the PC not able to boot to its OS?

Also it'd help more if you could provide the model number, Dell Optiplex is the product line, but remember that there are many different models of Optiplexes.

Thanks

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Ask a Question