How do I stop Windows Explorer from opening new windows?

My problem started yesterday. For some reason, when I clicked on a folder in
Explorer, it would open that folder up in a photo browser named ACDSEE. I
don't know if/what I did to make this happen. So what I did to try and fix
it was:

Tools

Folder Options

General Tab - I made sure that "Open each folder in the same window" was
selected.

View - I made sure that "Launch folder window in a separate process" was
selected.

File Types - Both "(None) File Folder" and "(None) File" had "Browse with
ACDSEE" set as default under Advanced - Edit File Type.

The other actions listed didn't work. So I created at new action with
"Explorer.exe" as the application to perfrom the action. This let me open up
file folders in explorer, but in a new window for every folder.

This is driving me nuts. Please help me figure out how to keep explorer in
one window.

Thanks.

Keith Miller

First try:

Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Usually works, but not sure since you took the extra step of creating actions.

If it doesn't work, edit the registry...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
default should be: "none" (without quotes)
no open action should be defined, just "find"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
default should be: "none" (without quotes)
no open action should be defined, just "find"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
default should be "open" (or "explore")

Keith

Ronnie Vernon MVP

jgthx said:
[...]

Go to the following website.
Windows XP File Assocation Fixes:

Click the "Folder Association Fix (Restore default associations for File
Folders)" link to download the registry file. Double click the file and
confirm the merge action.

WTC

jgthx said:
[...]

should have no value (value not set).

Keith Miller

either one makes open the default action...

The important part to solving the OP's problem is ensuring "none" for drives & directories.

Keith

Keith Miller

Is (value not set) how "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell" is setup on a fresh install?

If so, another thing I have to test for in a script I'm writing :(

Keith

WTC

Is (value not set) how "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell" is setup on a fresh
install?

If so, another thing I have to test for in a script I'm writing :(

Keith

Yes it is, just performed a clean install on a friend's laptop and I
verified this for you.

David Candy

The default verb at directory must be none. The problem is when software "fix" the association to pre XP standards and don't put a value there. none tells it not to set the default verb and inheirit from Folder.

Keith Miller

David,

I've read & played with your posts on saved views, please tell me if I have this correct:

If these keys/values have been deleted -

HKCU\...\ShellNoRoam\Bags
HKCU\...\Explorer\Streams\Settings
HKCU\...\Explorer\Streams\<##>

Then folders will open with the default icon style (tiles, thumbnails, etc), what you would see on a fresh install, is that correct? Or is there any other keys that hold icon style?

HKCU\...\Explorer\Streams\Defaults holds column layout but not icon style, correct?

HKCU\...\Explorer\Streams\StuckRects2 is taskbar layout/behavior, correct?

What's stored in HKCU\...\Explorer\CabinetState\Settings? Toolbars? Status Bar?

Thanks,
Keith

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message The default verb at directory must be none. The problem is when software "fix" the association to pre XP standards and don't put a value there. none tells it not to set the default verb and inheirit from Folder.

David Candy

CABINETSTATE Structure

This structure holds the global configuration for Microsoft® Windows® Explorer and Microsoft Internet Explorer. This structure is used in the ReadCabinetState and WriteCabinetState functions.

Syntax

typedef struct {
WORD cLength;
WORD nVersion;
BOOL fFullPathTitle:1;
BOOL fSaveLocalView:1;
BOOL fNotShell:1;
BOOL fSimpleDefault:1;
BOOL fDontShowDescBar:1;
BOOL fNewWindowMode:1;
BOOL fShowCompColor:1;
BOOL fDontPrettyNames:1;
BOOL fAdminsCreateCommonGroups:1;
UINT fUnusedFlags:7;
UINT fMenuEnumFilter;
} CABINETSTATE;Members

cLength
The size of the structure, in bytes.
nVersion
Reserved. Must be set to 2.
fFullPathTitle
TRUE
Display the full path in the title bar.
FALSE
Display only the file name in the title bar.
fSaveLocalView
TRUE
Remember each folder's view settings.
FALSE
Use global settings for all folders.
fNotShell
Not used.
fSimpleDefault
Not used.
fDontShowDescBar
Not used.
fNewWindowMode
TRUE
Display using Windows 95-style folder.
FALSE
Use the default folder style.
fShowCompColor
TRUE
Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color.
FALSE
Do not show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color.
fDontPrettyNames
Not used.
fAdminsCreateCommonGroups
Used when an administrator installs an application that places an icon in the Start menu.
TRUE
Add the icon to the Start menu for all users (CSIDL_COMMON_STARTMENU). This is the default value.
FALSE
Add the icon to only the current user (CSIDL_STARTMENU).
fUnusedFlags
Not used.
fMenuEnumFilter
One or both of the following flags.
SHCONTF_FOLDERS
Display folders.
SHCONTF_NONFOLDERS
Display non-folder items.

[...]

Many Thanks !!!

Keith

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message CABINETSTATE Structure

[...]

As to the other points it's difficult to say with any certainity.

StuckRect2 is the taskbar, but QL on/off is stored at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop
TaskbarWinXP

HKCU\...\Explorer\Streams\Defaults holds column layout but not icon style, correct?
I don't know that this is correct. Shellstate holds a default sort column and sort order but not icon style. The default looks similar (being 2 bytes smaller or 1/2 a word - curious). But icon style is stored in folder settings so (the 2 bytes being curious) so I presume in defaults.

[...]

SHGetViewStatePropertyBag Function

Retrieves a property bag in which the view state information for a folder can be stored and subsequently retrieved. The user's settings are kept for the next time the user visits the folder.

Syntax

HRESULT SHGetViewStatePropertyBag( LPCITEMIDLIST pidl,
LPCWSTR pszBagName,
DWORD dwFlags,
REFIID riid,
void **ppv
);Parameters

pidl
[in] Pointer to an item identifier list (PIDL) of the folder for which you are requesting properties. This parameter must be NULL if the SHGVSPB_ALLFOLDERS flag is passed.
pszBagName
[in] Pointer to a string that contains the name of the requested property bag.
dwFlags
[in] DWORD that specifies a combination of the following flags.
One of the following flags is required.
SHGVSPB_PERUSER
Returns the per-user properties for the specified pidl.
SHGVSPB_ALLUSERS
Returns the all user properties for the specified pidl.
One of the following flags is required.
SHGVSPB_PERFOLDER
Returns the property bag for the folder specified by the pidl parameter.
SHGVSPB_ALLFOLDERS
Returns the property bag that applies to all folders.
SHGVSPB_INHERIT
Returns the property bag used to provide defaults for subfolders that do not have their property bag.
These flags are optional.
SHGVSPB_ROAM
Allows the property bag to roam. See Roaming User Profiles. This flag cannot be combined with SHGVSPB_ALLFOLDERS.
SHGVSPB_NOAUTODEFAULTS
Suppresses the search for a suitable default when the property bag cannot be found for the specified folder. By default, if SHGVSPB_INHERIT is not specified and a property bag cannot be found for the specified folder, the system searches for identically named property bags in other locations that may be able to provide default values. For example, the system searches in the ancestors of the folder to see if any of them provide a SHGVSPB_INHERIT property bag. Other places the system searches are in the user defaults and the global defaults.
These flags combine some of the other flags for brevity and convenience.
SHGVSPB_FOLDER
Combines SHGVSPB_PERUSER and SHGVSPB_PERFOLDER.
SHGVSPB_FOLDERNODEFAULTS
Combines SHGVSPB_PERUSER, SHGVSPB_PERFOLDER, and SHGVSPB_NOAUTODEFAULTS.
SHGVSPB_USERDEFAULTS
Combines SHGVSPB_PERUSER and SHGVSPB_ALLFOLDERS.
SHGVSPB_GLOBALDEFAULTS
Combines SHGVSPB_ALLUSERS and SHGVSPB_ALLFOLDERS.
riid
[in] Identifier of the requested interface.
ppv
[out] Address of a pointer to the requested interface when the function is successful.
Return Value

Returns S_OK if successful, or an error value otherwise.

Remarks

Critical information should not be stored in the view state property bag because the system keeps only a limited number of view states. If a folder is not visited for a long time, its view state is eventually deleted.

Function Information

Minimum DLL Version shlwapi.dll version 5.0 or later
Custom Implementation No
Header shlwapi.h
Import library shlwapi.lib
Minimum operating systems Windows 2000

© 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message As to the other points it's difficult to say with any certainity.

[...]

What I can understand of that is interesting... :)

It mentions a flag SHGVSPB_ALLFOLDERS. A couple of weeks ago I was playing with views and RegMon showed that explorer would look for a key under ShellNoRoam\Bags named AllFolders. So I exported a bag with a distinctive column layout and folder type (for easy checking), changed the bag# to AllFolders in the registry path & imported it. Sure enough, it'll apply a unique view to any folder that doesn't have a saved view.

I'm using it in a script to solve the "how can I apply a folder view to all its subfolders?" question that pops up here every so often. It wipes out the old saved views, has the user set a view on a folder, makes that view the AllFolders key, then just opens & closes the subfolders -- leaving all the confusion of the BagMRU creation to explorer!

It's working great for all file system folders, as well as 'desktop\my docs', etc. Just trying to make it goof-proof for situations when the user might select my computer or the desktop. It should be ready in a day or two & I'll post a link.

Thanks for all your posts in the past and the info now,
Keith

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message SHGetViewStatePropertyBag Function

[...]

Ramesh forwarded something to me but the zip referenced has gone from where it was and your web site wouldn't let me open it as a folder to browse files (to see if case was wrong or whatever).
FolderViewMaster.zip

[...]

Yeah...I had posted it as a trial for someone at 3:00 am & then realized it had an error in it so I pulled it.

I don't have a website set up. Just use the space for files.

Keith

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message Ramesh forwarded something to me but the zip referenced has gone from where it was and your web site wouldn't let me open it as a folder to browse files (to see if case was wrong or whatever).
FolderViewMaster.zip