How do I set up Outlook to display e-mail with foreign characters.

I am having trouble setting up Oulook to display e-mails that I receive with
Japanese characters. I have the multilanguage support files downloaded and
installed. I can input Japanese characters in an e-mail or word document or
web page, but when I receive e-mails in Japanese it turns into a bunch of
question marks.

Pat Willener

You have to enable Unicode support; this can only be done on Outlook
2003. Either create a new PST file with Unicode support, or convert an
existing one to support Unicode.

I have done that a long time ago, so I do not remember exactly how I've
done it. The PST file *must* be created by Outlook 2003; you cannot
convert an earlier PST file.

Search the Microsoft support site for articles on Outlook 2003 Unicode
support.

JR K Yoshikawa

Which version of Outlook and Which version of Windows?
If that Outlook are 2003 and under windows XP.
Follow instruction below, and enable east Asian language.

Installing East Asian Language Support Under Windows XP
http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&P...pt/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

I think this is easiest way to do.

then select right encoding.
(Normally outlook select encoding automatically)
Japanese has few deferent encodings
JIS, Shift-JIS, EUC,UTF-8,