How do I remove English (US) as a default language?

G

Graham Mayor

You need to set Windows Regional Options setting to English Australia
From the Languages tab > Details on the same dialog
You should have English Australia as the input language with the keyboard
setting matching the pattern of your keyboard.
If you don't have that then add it.
Remove any other keyboards and input languages and OK out of the dialog.
Reboot to remove the English US if present.
Re-check the dialog. Does it now only show English - Australia?
Note that every character of a document has a language formatting parameter.
If you paste material from the web, it will almost certainly be formatted as
English US.
If the language settings in Word are not holding, close Word and delete or
rename the data key in the registry
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Reaction score
A message to the MVPs who have attempted to anwer this question:

I think that this issue would be largely solved if Microsoft released proper fully Anglicised versions of all products including Windows. The fact is that even if one sets one's locale to United Kingdom the user interface in Windows (and all other Microsoft products) remains English (US). In my case I have only one enabled language, which is English (UK).

The Welsh were lucky - they got their own language version of Windows some time ago. Yet countless children all over the UK, Australia, New Zealand and a dozen other places are having their understanding of their native language corrupted by Microsoft (and for Microsoft one might read "USA") arrogance and failure to understand their latter-day USA-centric attitudes.

Extra-territoriality, it appears, appliesd to USA language as well as technology.

And while I am in complaining mode, how about improving the English Lexicon in Microsft products. It seems to have the vocabulary of a five year old! And let's have a complete redesign of all those dialogues in Microsoft applications (and in the OS too) that have wasted space, too short text boxes, too long text boxes, too many hastily added-on levels, etc etc etc.

Reaction score
there is no such language as 'english' usa! and the quicker its put right the better..i have been left sometimes having every language there is but no 'english' only with usa added and its getting beyond belief..i would love to know how i could get this put right, i dont want to live in england and have my language full of 'eye-rak, tomaytoes, and calling antony anth-oneee!

Ask a Question