Set English UK as default spell check language

Jessie Leung

I am using Microsoft office 2007. But I find it impossible to set English
(UK) as the default spell check language. It keeps boucing back to English
(US).
I tired to follow http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm
but it didn't work for Microsoft 2007.

It has been a very disturbing issue as our company requires us to write in
English (UK). Anyone know how to solve this problem? Many thanks.

Graham Mayor

If from Windows regional settings you delete the US English option and
configure as English UK; and you turn off the automatically detect language
option from Review > Set Language, English UK should hold for typed text.
Inserted text will still adopt the language in which it was formatted.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Jessie Leung

I already set windows regional as Eng UK. I also set Eng UK as custom
dictionary for spell check but still it doesn't work. :-(

DeanH

Have you checked the language assigned to the dictionary, i.e. Tools,
Options, Spelling & Grammar, Custom Dictionaries, Modify. Do you see English
UK, US, or All Languages?
Also have you checked all your styles and templates, that none of these have
English (US) in their settings?
If this is all OK, then the only thing I can think that is causing the
conflict is the Language Registry Code, which is set upon install. Sometime
ago I had a spurious French (France) appearing (just like your English US)
and it turned out that because my new build (going from Word 2000 on 2000 to
Word2003 on XP) was done in-house and the disks were bought in France (I work
for a French company – stop… don't turn-off), and even though the IT chappie
did the build in English and told everything to be in English, the default
language was French! So the only remedy was to go into the Registry and
change the Language code to English (UK), which has solved my problems of
both French and US.

English (UK) code is 2057 (LCID Dec) but please check on:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/lcid-all.mspx
Where this is changed I am not entirely sure, maybe someone else on the
Newsgroup will chip in here with the correct procedure for Registry changes.

Please remember that if the document is distributed to others that may have
EN US as their language, you may/will get occurances of this language in your
document.

All of the above is for 2003 and prior, instructions may differ for 2007.

Hope this helps
DeanH

Graham Mayor

The proofing language is a paragraph formatting attribute. The default is
set according to the Windows regional settings. Check that the normal
paragraph style has the proofing option set to English UK.

You need to set the language associated with the text and as I suggested
earlier you need to turn off the automatically detect language option.

See also See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am running Office 2007 under Windows 7.

As I understand it having read the various help files and the posts in this and another forum, the default language is now controlled by the regional setting in the operating system. But that also defines the keyboard layout.

So I can have UK English if I have a UK keyboard.
But I cannot find any way to select a US keyboard while still wishing to use UK spelling.

Am I mistaken?

The symptoms I observe seem to be worse than that in fact. I can change my language in the Language bar to be UK English then create a Word document and it will be checked for UK spelling. Fine.
But as soon as I quit Word, the Language Bar insists on reverting to US English.

Any suggestions?
(Or do I have to get used to pretending I have a UK keyboard and therefore mistyping the @ (") sign frequently?)

Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone! this is my first post in this forum.

I have the same issue and the solution is to set the "system locale" to English (Singapore).

I am from Singapore, we study UK english but use US keyboard.

cheers! : D

Joined
Dec 14, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
hi all,

work for a multilingual company and my OS is set to German and i have to write in both German and English.

The reason i found this thread (and decided now ther is no solution): I started a PPT in English without changing my default language to English.

I wanted to ask: Can I afterwards change the spell checking language for all text in the PPT to English? and the answer is: No, PowerPoint will always revert back to the language it was started in even if you delete the German spell checker, even if you change your reginal settings and even if you change your keyboard layout to Engliush, it still doesnt work.

Why would it? It's not like this is modern technology... its not like this problem is 15 years old and still not fixed. (sarcasm off)

piece of ***** software :mad:

PS: Office 2010

Last edited: