How do I know what associations to make in Folder Options?

First, my original post at
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=879591&SiteID=1 as
follows:

Would someone point me to the right forum? I've been trying to download an
Adobe Reader, but I'm being told to "Create an association in the Folder
Options control panel" for the file "adberdr708_dlm_en_us.aom". Further, the
same error message says "This file does not have a program associated with it
for performing this action."

I'm using Win XP SP2 with IE7. I'm trying to download the reader and I
understand that I won't get an answer in the "Where is the Forum for...?",
but I want to be clear about as much information as I understand it. I know
that an 'AOM' file is connected to an Adobe Download Manager. While going
through help files so far, I understand that I need to create an association
and that I do so by clicking Start>My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>File
Types. Once I get to this point, I'm lost!

I've tried to fix this on my own and I've supposedly got a Support Ticket
out on an Adobe site, but to date, I haven't received an answer yet. I don't
believe it's an Adobe issue anyway, so I thought maybe I'd stand a better
chance in the Forums rather than an official Tech Support on either site. I
just need to learn how to create these associations and then I should be able
to download an Adobe Reader properly -- including it's Download Manager.

Thanks, in advance, for the help. My eyes have read as much as they're
going to read in the help files and, quite frankly, it's taken up way too
much of my time so far. I need an end to this headache. Any direction you
can point me would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I can pretty much pull
all the info I need for the correct forum from what I've used here. If I
need to include more, please let me know that, too, if you can. Thanks

The answer, although appreciated, didn't help me. I clicked the link given,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/, but it led me to even more pages of 'I
don't know where to go' if you know what I mean.
I understand where to create an association. I know how to do it. What I
don't know is what to create. For example, once there, if 'XYZ' was the
association I needed to create or 'add' in the Folder Options under the 'File
Types' tab in order to perform the action I'm requesting, THAT would be the
answer I'm looking for. I simply don't know what to do once I get to the
place I'm supposed to 'create the association'. I don't know how to search
this subject any further. I keep getting answers to the parts of this
'equation' that I already understand. I don't understand the 'what' factor
I'm supposed to be adding.
Please find me THAT answer or steer me in the right direction. Once again,
I'm probably in the wrong place, but I thought a forum named "Where Is the
Forum For...?" was the perfect place to ask that question and I was wrong, so
I won't be surprised to find that I belong somewhere else, but I'm hoping
that with all the info I'm providing, someone will no exactly where I belong
if not the answer to my question. Thank you

Mel Anne

PS -- I also have a screen shot of the error messages, if someone could
explain how to include it here. I've never done THAT before either. [;}]

Ahh, TB, you were sooo close. LOL You're right about it being 'a near
identical problem'. The error message was near identical -- mine said 'Last
error: 1155', but the return code was 10872388. Everything else is the same
though. I say this only to note for future reference that there COULD be a
different return code number and still get the same results.
Kudos to 'Zazula' for the detailed instructions! However, I must give
plaudits to 'SuperRich' as well. It was the instruction to go to C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Adobe\ESD that FINALLY hit the nail on the head!! When I
did as SuperRich directed, I was finally allowed to return to www.Adobe.com
and download the current Reader with a working Download Manager.
Still, kudos AND plaudits go to you, TB. If not for your insight, I would
never have come across either of them!! I still don't know how to 'create an
association' in the Folder Options control panel, but now I don't care!!!
Thank you, thank you.
I appreciated your prompt reply as well, TB. I've been waiting and waiting
for a reply from Adobe and that AFTER I spent days and days trying to figure
it out myself. I hope this is a good place to post questions like this.
I'll visit here the next time I get stuck -- only I'll come back a little
faster next time! LOL
Thanks again...........

Mel Anne [;}]

Touch Base

Hi MelAnne
I'm happy you had a good result, and I was able to help you because it
usually helps more than one person when a result is gotten. You know I
looked at the response by 'SuperRich' and thought that it was a good way to
go around the problem as well. but thought that the 'Zazula' response was a
good stepping approach to the problem for a newbie to learn how to get
themselves out of a jam with a learning curve involved. Obviously the other
route was shorter and a got a more immediate response for you so well done
for evaluating the best method for your situation.

You don't have to worry about setting a file association now because the
installation of Adobe will automatically do it for you. Basically what the
file association does is tell the OS (XP), what program you want to use when
you click on a file with a certain file extension, for example a pdf file is
opened by Adobe, a doc file is opened by MS Word, a pps file (powerpoint
slide), is opened by either the PowerPoint viewer or the PowerPoint program
which is part of MS Office and txt files (text), are opened by either
WordPad or Notepad for example or other programs that can read text files
and wmv (windows media video) files would be opened by the MS Windows Media
player. I'm sure you get the idea.

Normally all the files types are automatically opened by the program
installed to open those types of files but if you don't have the program on
your computer to open that particular type of file you will get that message
telling you need to set the file association, basically, it's telling you
heh, you don't have a program to run that sort of file so please install
one. There are other scenarios but that is the basic idea .

Anyway good luck and yes if you have any other problems feel free to post
the problem to this news group if it is relevant. Of course there are other
newsgroup available for different types of problems.

If you are in to newsgroups and want some info or are looking for specific
info to do with XP, here are some dedicated newsgroups. The Microsoft MVP's
frequent these newsgroup as well as other knowledgeable people to help
others with their XP enquiries.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/supportnet/supportpartners/mvps/brochuregeneral.asp

Newsgroups;

:

"....the 'Zazula' response was a good stepping approach to the problem for a
newbie to learn how to get themselves out of a jam with a learning curve
involved."

Right again, TB!

I did follow all of Zazula's instructions first. It wasn't until that
didn't work that I tried SuperRich's suggestion, too. I guess I was caught
between a rock and a hard place. It was the Download Manager that was the
problem. I wasn't allowed to download Adobe without it, but I couldn't find
it to fix it -- therein the problem. I even tried to find out how to
'download the Download Manager' with no luck there either. Vicious circle, I
think. Depending on the circumstances, I imagine one or the other (or both)
would help the next person as it did me. That's why I gave special props to
Zazula's well written instructions. I'm not totally a newbie, but I ALWAYS
appreciate well written instructions. Not to be confused with condescending
babble, however! Clear, concise description is always a pleasure!! I even
joined 'Tech Support Forum' so I could reply to Zazula to say just that (I
don't usually go so far as to thank the original poster that far down the
line, if you will, but I like to give credit where credit is due!) because I
would like to know if I was Zazula.
In like turn, your last post was just as informative. I copied those URL's
and I'm sure I'll be using them soon enough! Thank you for taking the time
to reply like that. Considering what I've gone through these last few weeks,
trying to fix this and fix that, I am SOOO very sorry I didn't find this
newsgroup first. I could have saved myself a lot of headaches!!
There's only one way that I can return the favor. I started a 'Sponsors'
page on my website to pay homage to people that peruse the groups, forums,
etc., and have 'gone the extra mile' to help me. I don't sell anything and
I'm not a crazy person. I'm just a regular person trying to get through the
'Internet Maze' like everyone else! If you have a site or sites that you'd
appreciate a link back to, I'd be glad to do so. My page is at
Fibrofog.REMOVE_THIS_PART.Bravehost.com/sponsors.html#Friendly and I'm sure I
don't need to tell you, TB, but for those that don't understand spammers,
please remove ".REMOVE_THIS_PART" including the 'period' before you use this
URL.
Last but not least, a reminder to ALL OF YOU to thank those that help us.
Without them, none of us would have any hair. I pull mine out on a daily
basis! LOL TB, I won't be offended if you choose not to provide a link, if
you even have one. Most people play things close to the vest and considering
the sad state of affairs where spammers are concerned, I certainly can't
blame 'ya!! I will be using the links you've already provided and if others
read this, they'd be smart to copy them as well. It's sometimes just as hard
to find the right place to ask a question as is the answer to the question
itself.
That was quite a mouthful -- so was this post! Now that my Adobe Download
Manager is back where it belongs and my Reader is updated, I'm a happy
camper. Also, even though I said I didn't care about 'associations' any
longer, I must admit I was curious. I did go back to the Folder Options
control panel and take a good look. See, you really did hit the nail on the
head, TB. I did know where to go and what was being asked of me, but I
didn't know how to do it. Seems obvious, now that it's there, but I DID try
to 'add' or 'create' AOM with Adobe, but it didn't seem to take. The problem
was with the Download Manager all along.
All is well -- sort of -- I'll tackle the next problem after I enjoy some
time working on my website. I'm still working the bugs out and, although
it's published, so to speak, I haven't done anything to 'put it out there'
yet and I'm looking forward to simply catching up on my emails. Thanks
again, TB. I truly appreciated the time you took to answer my post. You
obviously give a damn -- pardon my French! Great job, TB! {hands clapping &
patting you on the back}

Mel Anne [;}]