How do I change Notepad's TASKBAR BUTTON icon?

M

Michel Merlin

I have often a number of IE windows open. I use my XP Pro with Classic Windows interface (not XP or web), and *sans* "Group similar taskbar buttons". To find back easily at any moment the IE window I need amid all the ones showing in Taskbar, I manage to have my IE windows taskbar buttons by series of 5, separated with another program - chosen to be used anyway, or to be using little resources.

Unfortunately, excepted Windows Explorer, those other programs (mostly OE and Notepad) have all their buttons in the same very similar colors, between light blue and light green, so they are undistinguishable from IE buttons (unless excessive expense of my eyes).

Right-Clicking the Notepad icon lets me change the icon, but this while effective elsewhere, has no effect on the icon showing *on the taskbar button*, so my problem remains unsolved.

Anyone can tell me how I change the *TASKBAR BUTTON* icon for Notepad? TIA,

Versailles, Thu 15 Feb 2007 17:03:25 +0100

E

Elmo

Michel said:
I have often a number of IE windows open. I use my XP Pro with Classic Windows interface (not XP or web), and *sans* "Group similar taskbar buttons". To find back easily at any moment the IE window I need amid all the ones showing in Taskbar, I manage to have my IE windows taskbar buttons by series of 5, separated with another program - chosen to be used anyway, or to be using little resources.

Unfortunately, excepted Windows Explorer, those other programs (mostly OE and Notepad) have all their buttons in the same very similar colors, between light blue and light green, so they are undistinguishable from IE buttons (unless excessive expense of my eyes).

Right-Clicking the Notepad icon lets me change the icon, but this while effective elsewhere, has no effect on the icon showing *on the taskbar button*, so my problem remains unsolved.

Try changing the icon in the Associations.. Open Folder Options, File
Types tab, scroll down to highlight TXT, click Advanced, "Change Icon".

M

Michel Merlin

Thanks for your help. Yes I didn't think of that. It does change icon for all text files (including with extension ".log") in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately it doesn't in Taskbar, neither in Notepad windows themselves. Any other idea? (Thanks anyway for this one that did help).

Versailles, Thu 15 Feb 2007 20:12:50 +0100

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Sent: Thu 15 Feb 2007 12:08:21 -0500 (17:08:21 GMT)
Subject: Re: How do I change Notepad's TASKBAR BUTTON icon?

Try changing the icon in the Associations.. Open Folder Options, File Types tab, scroll down to highlight TXT, click Advanced, "Change Icon".
--
Joe =o)

Sent: Thu 15 Feb 2007 17:03:25 +0100 (16:03:25 GMT)
Subject: How do I change Notepad's TASKBAR BUTTON icon?

E

Elmo

Michel said:
Thanks for your help. Yes I didn't think of that. It does change icon for all text files (including with extension ".log") in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately it doesn't in Taskbar, neither in Notepad windows themselves. Any other idea? (Thanks anyway for this one that did help).

Try changing the icon in the Associations.. Open Folder Options, File Types tab, scroll down to highlight TXT, click Advanced, "Change Icon".

There are a few ways mentioned in the following Google Groups search
results. Perhaps changing the association to a program with a unique
icon would be much easier, such as Win32pad and others.

change exe icon
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=change+exe+icon&qt_s=Search

Notepad replacements
http://www.google.com/search?q=notepad replacement&qt_s=Search&sa=N&tab=gw

M

Michel Merlin

Thanks for your help. I did visit your 2 links:

- http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=change+exe+icon
- http://www.google.com/search?q=notepad+replacement

Unfortunately, as you apparently feared, it seems the icon (and main color BTW) seen in Taskbar (and in the program's window itself) is embedded in the EXE file and (oppositely to the icon seen in Windows Explorer or QuickLaunch) can't be changed sans changing that EXE file itself, which involves in my case,

- either editing the EXE (with all the involved pain and risks, which I don't want),
- or replacing Notepad with an alternative, as Notepad++ or else (as I have done in the very old past).

I like this 2nd alternative and I greatly thank you to recall it and to encourage me about it. I think it will solve other concerns I had BTW (see http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450442&page=3#post3264847 and http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421250 "Do Professionals Really Code Everything By Hand?").

(BTW I hope you aren't offended with my habit of giving each message a subject reflecting its contents, as has been usual for centuries, and as is perfectly handled in News readers when users bother to use them properly).

Versailles, Sat 17 Feb 2007 14:53:35 +0100

Sent: Fri 16 Feb 2007 11:18:46 -0500 (16:18:46 GMT)
Subject: Re: "Folder Options > File Types > TXT > Advanced" does change icon in Windows Explorer, not in Taskbar or in Notepad itself

There are a few ways mentioned in the following Google Groups search results. Perhaps changing the association to a program with a unique icon would be much easier, such as Win32pad and others.

change exe icon
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=change+exe+icon&qt_s=Search

Notepad replacements
http://www.google.com/search?q=notepad replacement&qt_s=Search&sa=N&tab=gw
--
Joe =o)

Sent: Thu 15 Feb 2007 20:12:50 +0100 (19:12:50 GMT)
Subject: "Folder Options > File Types > TXT > Advanced" does change icon in Windows Explorer, not in Taskbar or in Notepad itself

--
Joe =o)

Sent: Thu 15 Feb 2007 17:03:25 +0100 (16:03:25 GMT)
Subject: How do I change Notepad's TASKBAR BUTTON icon?

Reaction score
Use Resource Hacker
angusj [dot] com / resourcehacker /
to open C:\Windows\notepad.exe

Click on + next to icon > click on + next to 9 > Right click on 1033 > Replace Resource... >

Open file with new icon... . Browse to another .ico file > Open > Replace > File > Save

Ask a Question